S-N-AL

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Preach it Brother!

The problem with Al's brand of comedy, and why he can't connect with some people is that you have to be smart enough to get it in the first place. A brief dip into the fan forums of Al's targets will show you what the problem is. And it ain't our boy.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

QUOTE \"]

Once upon a time \"Eat It\", along with MAD Magazine and a solid collection of Garbage Pail Kids, was an essential part of healthy immaturity. But Yankovic can't connect with a market raised on South Park and Eminem. The new role models lure ever-younger fans with an equally smart but jaded, foulmouthed outlook, forcing kids to abandon goofy fun long before they should have to.

What does an eleven-year-old have to be jaded about anyway?

And "jaded" is a choice anyway. Al's 43 years old and he's lived in Hollywood for nearly half his life, where just going out for dinner and paying attention to what's going on around you would give you more-than-sufficient "jading" material, and he still seems to be voting "no."

I think I'll hold on to my own healthy immaturity, too, thanks.
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Thank you, Dr. Dad. That was wonderful. :thumbsup:

-CindyBob
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Um, SNL isn't improv. They only make up stuff on the spot if someone flubs a line or something doesn't go according to plan.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

QUOTE Um, SNL isn't improv. They only make up stuff on the spot if someone flubs a line or something doesn't go according to plan.

yes, yes, I know SNL isn't improv. It's not improv in the way Whose Line Is It Anyway, of course. But a lot of it IS impovised. I read an article recently (I don't recall where) about how they write the shows. It's done very loosely in a way that leaves each skit open for improvisation. As they rehearse all week, they find things that don't work or things that work that they hadn't thought of, and they change the skits accordingly. But on Saturday night, there is still a good deal of improvisation that goes on. Especially the really great ones like Chris Farley, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Bill Murray, and many others. They will come up with jokes in the middle of the performance and just throw it out there. The other comedians are trained and practiced in a way that allows them to deal with such improvisation in a way that makes the skits work.

What I was trying to say in my previous post is that I don't think Al would do well with improvisation. If Jimmy Falon threw out a very funny comment that wasn't in the script, I don't think Al would be able to respond to it well. But then again, SNL has had many many guests who aren't even comedians and many who aren't even in the entertainment business, so my theory could be completely wrong.

QUOTE But the real reason Al isn't on SNL or other shows can be found in Entertainment Weekly's recent review of Poodle Hat

Yes, Dr. Dad, that comment that I made about the improv possibly being the reason Al hasn't been on the show yet, doesn't make sense now that you mention it.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Think about all the people they have had on the show that would be even worse at improv than Al. I'm sure he'd be fine
rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

QUOTE ...And it ain't our boy.

Why? Why can't it be me? Oh, OUR boy. Never mind.

:stupid:

-Rich, just Rich
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

As far as "real reasons" go as for why Al hasn't been on SNL yet, the most likely reason is that he just hasn't been asked yet. I don't think it has anything to do with improv abilities at all.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I agree with El. And if it didn't happen during Victoria Jackson's days, it's probably not going to happen.

But it would be sweeeeeeeet.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

QUOTE the most likely reason is that he just hasn't been asked yet

yea basically. if Couch Potato had a video, we'd have another Amish Paradise / Eat It on our hands and now might be a good time for it to happen.

Oh well, maybe the next one will bring back the huge hit