Fox to Sue Al?!?

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

ThewEiRdOne27
Obsessed

Post by ThewEiRdOne27 »

And Gigli.

Eww... :bomb:
"Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them."-Adlai Stevenson
ThewEiRdOne27
Obsessed

Post by ThewEiRdOne27 »

Speaking of lawsuits, is J. Lo still "angry" at Al for that lyric in CP? I bet she hasn't even heard the song, and I'm 99% positive it was a media-created thing but any news on that?

Who knows. If she is, I think J.Lo is wasting her time...

*Watches the Bennifer relationship slowly nose-dive towards the ground*
"Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them."-Adlai Stevenson
ThewEiRdOne27
Obsessed

Post by ThewEiRdOne27 »

Not yet. I think MrMeadows and I can behave ourselves (for once) others may have our-Al related remarks.

If you guys behave, I'll behave. :lookround:
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Not to veer too much OT re: Al, but did anyone happen to read Paul Newman's brilliant OpEd piece in the New York Times last week?

It was regarding this feud between FOX news and Al Franken about how he wants to reclaim his rights to the usage of HUD.

I first saw it posted on another newsgroup and the satire was so good I thought it actually came from The Onion.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Not to veer too much OT re: Al, but did anyone happen to read Paul Newman's brilliant OpEd piece in the New York Times last week?
It was regarding this feud between FOX news and Al Franken about how he wants to reclaim his rights to the usage of HUD.

"Paul Newman IS Hud".

Yeah, that was pretty funny. But even THAT would make more sense than what Fox is alleging. For Fox to claim that they have sole rights to a phrase like "fair and balanced" (a laugh in and of itself) would be like Al (Yankovic) suing someone over use of the word "Weird". Yes, we all associate "Weird" with "Weird Al". . .but Al doesn't own the word.

Meadows,

seriously considering a lawsuit against Flushing Meadows, NY for associating my name with the sound a toilet makes.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

As a Fox viewer I have heard about it. At least one side of it....

Now this is an excellent example of an existential quandry.

If FOX news was "fair and balanced" you would have heard both sides.

El
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Jawohl... this topic is like a transport in the mid-Atlantic in 1942... :|

Should we lock it?

Why? This is as much parody as an Al song. It's the same sa the post about the Iraqi information minister talking about Poodle Hat we had in May...

And Gigli...

You know, Gigli and From Justin to Kelly are competing for number one on imdb's bottom 100 list. I can't even begin to understand how these movies are worse than Manos...
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

If FOX news was "fair and balanced" you would have heard both sides.

El

I was only half listening. People were invited to give the alternate view. Said people chose not to accept invitation.

And we have not really gotten back on WAY topic.
Manda
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Manda »

I really don't get what Al has to with Al Franken or Fox News :dontgetit: . Why are they even mentioning Als name, they should leave him out of it.

Heres what I heard about this is that "fair and Balanced" is a trademark or something of Fox News and Franklen used it on his book and got in trouble because its a copyright infrigment. I really havent heard much about so I cant really say if Im right about it. So my question at the top is what in the world does our Al have to do with.
Manda
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Manda »

Ok I read the article a little more closely this time, I don't get (I guess I dont get a lot of things :)) how are a parody of a song and trademark the same thing? I know that Al does not have to get permission for a parody but still does.But did Franken get permission to use Fox's trademark? Even though Franken dosent have to wouldent it have been easier then getting sued. I still dont get what it has to do with Al