"Cultural Touchstones" Al Missed

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Re: "Cultural Touchstones" Al Missed

Post by Yankomaniac »

Yeah, WTF AL???
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
PerformThisWay

Post by PerformThisWay »

Linkin Park.

Crawling or One Step Closer or In the End would have even PERFECT for Angry White Boy Polka.
- Cody
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

PerformThisWay wrote:Linkin Park.

Crawling or One Step Closer or In the End would have even PERFECT for Angry White Boy Polka.
Good point with that. I agree what someone said earlier about Britney Spears too.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Agree on Harry Potter.

To go way back, how about Cabbage Patch Kids? (or Garbage Pail Kids?) Also, I expected a little more on WWE/WWF then what was in the "Jurassic Park" video and Macho Man cameo on TWAS.

Dave
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Way_Moby wrote:I started thinking about this the other day when I was watching that fan-made video for "The Night Santa Went Crazy". In the video, during the "there's a van from the National Guard and the FBI..." the animator threw in a quick gag of Mulder and Scully, and it hit me, "The X-Files" was HUGE in the 90s, but Al never did anything with it.

Granted, this wasn't the only thing that he 'missed' or anything, it just got me thinking. What else has passed that was HUGE that Al never really touched. Another one that comes to mind is Harry Potter: I was sure Al would've done a Harry Potter parody, but alas, nothing!
Yeah, I am always sad when Al does another TV parody and 'The X-Files' is not mentioned...again. Oh, well. Maybe Al hated the show.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I can tell from your user name you didn't. I miss that show...
Diva
Addicted

Post by Diva »

I thought that at some point around 2000-03 or so that he would pick up on the surge of Latin music then. And "Taco Grande" doesn't count-too early.

Cheers, Diva
muy caliente :zorro:
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

That's interesting. I guess he did miss the boat on the whole Ricky Martin/Enrique Iglesias/similar Latino artists thing. Part of it might have been timing of albums, considering the four-year gap between RWS and PH. Ricky Martin wasn't really big news when RWS was being recorded, and he was old news by the time PH was recorded. Ditto for Enrique Iglesias. It seems like 1999 to around 2001 was the prime time for the popularity of that type of music. I'm sure he still could have done something with it if he had wanted to, but maybe he just didn't have an idea he liked.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

He did steal Enrique Iglesias mole though
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
mrbellamy

Post by mrbellamy »

Along with Harry Potter, I don't think Al ever mentioned Lord of the Rings either? Maybe he's not a big fantasy guy.