Live album?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Re: Live album?

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

Yeah, I mean technically they are all very different from the studio versions. I think I was just thinking as far as performance goes. Like things that were intentionally different. Also, on Amish Paradise, he sounds way more into it than he does on the album.
Iamabrawler
Die-hard Fan

Post by Iamabrawler »

Basically, all these little things make it different from the originals. There`s the thrill of the stage, putting on a show... the cheers of the crowd at the beginning and at the end of each song...
I own a Live CD of a band from my province. They lengthened some songs, added more music at some points, and they, too, sound much more into it than in the original songs. I guess that`s makes the charm of a Live album.
Then again, we never know what the future might bring.
"So I went in my garaage, got in my care
And I drived, talking with my blue teeth
My boyfreind told me don't cree
Come to my houss, don't worraye,
we'll talk about this togeedurr."
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Iamabrawler wrote:They lengthened some songs, added more music at some points
These are some of the things that make live albums interesting, and one of the reasons a Weird Al live album wouldn't be. Because generally, he just doesn't do any of that. The songs always sound pretty much identical to the studio versions, give or take an accordion part or something.

But I dunno, maybe he should've included a CD with the Alpocalypse Live thing for people who wanted it...
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Or just release the CD version separate and make more money. Some people may like listening that certain compilation, would have been cool to also add a couple tracks from the first Live DVD. I was thinking that if he did that it would be sweet to have Dare To Be Stupid, maybe One More Minute or Pentiums or Night Santa Went Crazy as some bonus tracks.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

It would be pretty cool to play in the car actually (which is probably the only place I enjoy listening to most live albums). I'd definitely bring it along for road trips.

The only way to really sell this would be if it emphasized the concert-only songs. A live anthology from the 80s to the present would be awesome, albeit awkward to listen to straight-through.
Iamabrawler
Die-hard Fan

Post by Iamabrawler »

Which reminds me, just how many concert-only songs are there? Does he have enough to fill a whole album?
In any case, that would become a whole new ALbum, since most of the stuff on it would be "new" on CD, despite being somewhat "old" chronologically-wise. It would be cool.
"So I went in my garaage, got in my care
And I drived, talking with my blue teeth
My boyfreind told me don't cree
Come to my houss, don't worraye,
we'll talk about this togeedurr."
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

He'd still have to get the permission for all the songs in the first place, though, right? That's why they're concert-only.

So, at the very least, there's be no way that we'd get an album version of Chicken Pot Pie or Snack All Night, especially since both artists are... Well, dead. And had a major problem with the whole parody a song that goes against the message I'm trying to send with Paul's vegetarianism and Michael's "I can turn into a panther and destroy a car while being watched by Bart Simpson" message that he was sending out.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Live album?

Post by minnick27 »

Paul's not dead. And there is more than enough concert only stuff to fill an album
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

When people die the rights are just turned over to someone else, so there would still be a way to contact somebody if he was seeking permission to use, probably a family member or something similar.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Yeah, but if someone didn't approve the parody in their lifetime (e.g. George Harrison with "Pacman"), I doubt Al would ring up the estate for permission. He'd honor the original composer's intention.