Your BOTTOM 5 Albums!

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Your BOTTOM 5 Albums!

Post by TMBJon »

This is the far more interesting list than the TOP 5 one...
Studio albums only, no cheesy comps allowed.

1. Polka Party
2. Alapalooza
3. Off The Deep End
4. UHF Soundtrack
5. Even Worse

Each of these albums have some exceptional stand-out tracks, don't get me wrong. Some of my favorite Al songs are on these albums. But in each case, the bad outweighs the good.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
FreakyGeeky
Occasional

Re: Your BOTTOM 5 Albums!

Post by FreakyGeeky »

Ok... from themost worst:

1. UHF Soundtrack - This is the worst album. Period. I mean, 5 out of the 13 songs aren't even "songs". Just little audio snippets of the movie. Another thing is The Hot Rocks Polka. Now, I wouldn't mind if it weren't THE ROLLING FREAKING STONES. :vomit: No offense but... THE ROLLING STONES SUCK!!!

2. Debut - My number 1 reason is that, even though I know he's WEIRD Al, I can't stand his Eminem(pre 2006)-esque silly accents. And I prefer "Family-friendly Al" over "Kiddy Al". And also; Gotta Boogie. Its purdy childish, and while I know that he was only still a Dr. D-known 24-year-old...its just... :annoyed:

3. Internet Leaks(as an EP) - Partly because it basically unveiled more than half the album(while not in the actual EP, I count Polka Face and Perform This Way, even though the former wasn't actually digitally released). And partly because it unveiled the 2 worst songs on Alpocalypse(namely Skipper Dan and Craigslist). On a positive note, it had its own little live-action video, which I think was pretty neat.

4. Off The Deep End - I don't think that there was any REALLY good songs on there(except Bite Me). Plus, I Can't Watch This. Basically a novelty artist parodying ANOTHER novelty artist. LAME.

5. Poodle Hat - It barely cracked my bottom 5 due to the fact that it wasn't good, wasn't bad, just... meh. :wacko: I feel like he returned to his roots. Roots that were...sucky(no offense to Dr. D). Like, basically he returned briefly to being "Kiddie Al" again. Now I don't fully blame him. It was probably the after-effects of having Nina(even though Nina was born after the album was recorded...you get my drift). Whatever. :amish:
If pickles and guinea pigs, thy cows thou art, thou shalt eat both.

Talk'n In Innernetz Lang'ige sux. Misspelling = INTENDED.

R.I.P Osama

Random Worlds of Random - Coming Soon, Right Now. You are looking at it. I AM A GEEK, THEREFORE I FREAK! YEE!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I wouldn't say that "the bad outweighs the good" for any Al release...but there are definitely some that a bit too heavy on filler.

1. Even Worse - A pretty uninspired effort all things considered, with only four songs I would consider top-tier: "Fat," "You Make Me," "Melanie" and "Good Old Days." I like some others but all in all, this album just hasn't held up.
2. Alapalooza - Again, a decided lack of must-have tracks. I'll also go out on a limb and say that this is Al's least funny album. In fact, my two favorite tracks here ("Frank's 2000" TV" and "Traffic Jam") only have a handful of amusing lines between them.
3. UHF - I think the sequencing of this album makes it seem weaker than it actually is. Most of the best material doesn't arrive until the second half. Overall though it does feel like a weird hodgepodge--two excerpts from a movie and then a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with the movie. Well, I guess you can't say that the subtitle (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack and Other Stuff) is false advertising.
4. Dare to Be Stupid - DTBS has some absolute masterpieces, but it also suffers from by far the most top-heavy sequencing of any Al album. You kick off with five songs that I think are inarguably some of his best 80s work but then it just plummets. "This is the Life" gives it a kick but that's about it for the second half. And ending on a polka???
5. Polka Party! - I do think it's fairly underrated but it's obviously a rush job. "Dog Eat Dog" and "Christmas at Ground Zero" aren't enough to completely salvage it, but I think the other originals have their charm as well. The parodies are definitely hit-or-miss.

I nearly included In 3-D at #5 but as much as I like to defend Polka Party! it does belong towards the bottom.

ETA:
1. UHF Soundtrack - This is the worst album. Period. I mean, 5 out of the 13 songs aren't even "songs".
There's two for sure ("Gandhi II" and "Spatula City"), and I suppose you're including "Let Me Be Your Hog" as well. What else? I guess you could say "Fun Zone" because it's instrumental but I'm at a loss for what the fifth would be.
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

In no real order:

1. WAY-I like several things here but the parodies stick out as less "professional" with just the accordion
2. Even Worse-Anth has it right IMO
3. Dare to be Stupid-The cover sucks and most of the parodies are decent but not overly great
4. Alapalooza-I liked it better than I initially thought I would but it has never been one of the tops for me.
5. UHF-Probably the worst to me-I don't particularly like MFN/BHB and the movie snippets are meh. I love a few of the songs but the rest of it among my least fave stuff
Is my dude a dweeb?
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

1. Off The Deep End
2. Bad Hair Day
3. Polka Party
4. Dare To Be Stupid
5. "Weird Al" Yankovic
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

1. polka party!
2. poodle hat
3. off the deep end
4. uhf soundtrack
5. alpocalypse
taste is only something if it is yours.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Your BOTTOM 5 Albums!

Post by Kevbo1987 »

1. Alapalooza
2. "Weird Al" Yankovic
3. Even Worse
4. UHF
5. Poodle Hat
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Don't find any of the albums bad in anyway at all but if I HAD to pick:
1. Poodle Hat
2. Straight Outta Lynwood
3. Polka Party
4. Alapalooza
5. Alpocalypse
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
FreakyGeeky
Occasional

Post by FreakyGeeky »

I wouldn't say that "the bad outweighs the good" for any Al release...but there are definitely some that a bit too heavy on filler.

1. Even Worse - A pretty uninspired effort all things considered, with only four songs I would consider top-tier: "Fat," "You Make Me," "Melanie" and "Good Old Days." I like some others but all in all, this album just hasn't held up.
2. Alapalooza - Again, a decided lack of must-have tracks. I'll also go out on a limb and say that this is Al's least funny album. In fact, my two favorite tracks here ("Frank's 2000" TV" and "Traffic Jam") only have a handful of amusing lines between them.
3. UHF - I think the sequencing of this album makes it seem weaker than it actually is. Most of the best material doesn't arrive until the second half. Overall though it does feel like a weird hodgepodge--two excerpts from a movie and then a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with the movie. Well, I guess you can't say that the subtitle (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack and Other Stuff) is false advertising.
4. Dare to Be Stupid - DTBS has some absolute masterpieces, but it also suffers from by far the most top-heavy sequencing of any Al album. You kick off with five songs that I think are inarguably some of his best 80s work but then it just plummets. "This is the Life" gives it a kick but that's about it for the second half. And ending on a polka???
5. Polka Party! - I do think it's fairly underrated but it's obviously a rush job. "Dog Eat Dog" and "Christmas at Ground Zero" aren't enough to completely salvage it, but I think the other originals have their charm as well. The parodies are definitely hit-or-miss.

I nearly included In 3-D at #5 but as much as I like to defend Polka Party! it does belong towards the bottom.

ETA:
1. UHF Soundtrack - This is the worst album. Period. I mean, 5 out of the 13 songs aren't even "songs".
There's two for sure ("Gandhi II" and "Spatula City"), and I suppose you're including "Let Me Be Your Hog" as well. What else? I guess you could say "Fun Zone" because it's instrumental but I'm at a loss for what the fifth would be.
UHF. If you listen during the Twinkie Weiner Sandwich scene, you can hear an instrumental of it during that.
If pickles and guinea pigs, thy cows thou art, thou shalt eat both.

Talk'n In Innernetz Lang'ige sux. Misspelling = INTENDED.

R.I.P Osama

Random Worlds of Random - Coming Soon, Right Now. You are looking at it. I AM A GEEK, THEREFORE I FREAK! YEE!
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

FreakyGeeky wrote:UHF. If you listen during the Twinkie Weiner Sandwich scene, you can hear an instrumental of it during that.
Wait, so does that make it not a song? Insane troll logic is insane. :wacko: