Best Last Tracks

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: Best Last Tracks

Post by minnick27 »

HappyGilmore wrote:
Way_Moby wrote:I think the album closer was supposed to be "Girls Just Want to Eat Cheese." XD
Should've done a Hall and Oates parody.

Granted they showed up in the polka. Eh.

Spameater
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

minnick27 wrote: Spameater
Was thinking something along those lines.

But Al's no "Flight of the Conchords" who only does stupid music, so Darryl might've objected. :?
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

I thought this was just meant for us to discuss/list our favorite closing songs, but I'll rank them all in preference order as best I can (it's hard to truly pick one favorite).

1. Don't Download This Song
2. Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me
3. Good Old Days
4. Albequerque
5. The Night Santa Went Crazy
6. Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung
7. Bohemian Polka
8. Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesoda
9. Nature Trail to Hell
10. Christmas at Ground Zero
11. Hooked on Polkas
12. You Don't Love Me Anymore
13. Genius in France

I have a few things to say about some of my choices:
*Albequerque - In part due to length, after listening to the whole album when I first got it, I didn't listen to this song again for a few months (the same can be said for most of the last six tracks, except for Truck-Driving Song). But then I listened again and really liked it.
*Christmas at Ground Zero - I liked it a lot better when I first heard it, especially after I learned it was a music video (feeling under the mindset that if the song was made into a music video I had not yet seen, I had to require myself to like it), but in the past several years it's not as good as I thought it was back then (though I like most of the rest of the songs from Polka Party; Actually, I feel like, compared to all Al's albums, Polka Party sounds the most like an '80s album, with Christmas at Ground Zero being the main exception).
*You Don't Love Me Anymore - Part of my reason for putting it so low on the list comes from the time I first heard it. It was shortly after becoming a fan, was Al's first "love" song I heard, and at the time I wasn't interested in love (I honestly thought "You Don't Hate Me Anymore" would have been a better idea), and it took awhile for me to really notice the funny lyrics, and back then out of all of Al's music videos I'd seen (which had been most of the contents of the 1996 AL-TV and Alapalooza: The Videos) this was the least funniest to me (ignoring the really funny, really disturbing sight gags... Though now I think this video is much funnier than the videos for Bedrock Anthem, Fat, and Money for Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies). I would go on to enjoy most of Al's other "love" songs a lot better.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

weird user wrote: it took awhile for me to really notice the funny lyrics ... this was the least funniest to me (ignoring the really funny, really disturbing sight gags..
Yeah when you ignore the funny lyrics and really funny sight gags, you're right: this really wasn't a very good song/video.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

1. The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota
2. Jackson Park Express
3. Good Old days
4. You Don't Love Me Anymore
5. Don't Download This Song
6. Nature Trail to Hell
7. Christmas at Ground Zero
8. The Night Santa Went Crazy
9. Albuquerque
10. Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me
11. Bohemian Polka
12. Genius in France
13. Hooked on Polkas
14. Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung

Note about "Jackson Park Express": This surpassed almost all the others almost instantly for me. This song is so ingenious the way he tells a complete love story (from flirting to dating to sex to breakup) all through misinterpreted body language is incredible. And the jokes that take a literal interpretation of common expressions are second to none.