Can Strong Music Compensate for Weak Lyrics?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Can Strong Music Compensate for Weak Lyrics?

Post by Bruce the Duck »

A lot of members have been disappointed with "Ringtone", because of it's lack of jokes relative to other Al songs. But Others have defended it by saying that the music and the homage to Queen was so dead on that it doesn't matter that the lyrics are sub-par. At first I thought this was wrong because Al is first and foremost comedian and is supposed to be FUNNY. But in listening to some of my favorite originals, I've realized that there are a few songs that aren't really much funnier than "Ringtone," and yet are still among my absolute favorites.

"UHF" and "Nature Trail to Hell" are at the very top of that list. Neither are really all that funny, but they're among my favorite Al songs.

N the other hand, there are songs that I consider to be very strong musically, but the music doesn't seem to compensate for, what I consider to be inferior lyrics. The music in "Party at the Leper Colony" is phenomenal, yet I can't stand the pun-laden lyrics. The instrumental version of "Callin' in Sick" from the "Gump" single is one of my favorite Al tracks, but I don't care for the normal version much at all.

Musically, I don't think Al has EVER fallen short on his originals (save for his early stuff). But it's interesting to me that sometimes the music is enough to compensate for mediocre lyrics, and other times not.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Re: Can Strong Music Compensate for Weak Lyrics?

Post by weirdojace »

Can strong music compensate for weak lyrics? Generally, no. Look at Syndicated Inc. When people hate a song by their favorite artists, it's always because the lyrics suck. I could pinpoint examples from other bands I like where, in general, the fans have come to a consensus as to what the band's worst songs are. And it always has to do with weak lyrics.

That said, I like Ringtone. But my reasons for liking it don't boil down to "the music is so good." And the music is really good. But I like it because I think the song idea carries itself well and even though there aren't a lot of jokes, well, I don't think a song needs jokes to be good. I know, it's Weird Al. Weird Al songs are supposed to have jokes, so by definition a jokeless Weird Al song is immediately bad. But I don't think so. From a pure songwriting standpoint, I like it a lot. The verses give us a good look at the character, the choruses are catchy and fun to sing, and the song builds up to a climax that I think works really well.

I think the song gets too much hate, but hey, whatever. There are songs in Al's catalog with much weaker lyrics than Ringtone...
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I dont find anything weak about this song. It think its a complete work of art actually.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

As far as "Ringtone" goes, if I were just reading the lyrics with no music, I'd find it fairly stupid and unfunny. But combined with the Queen style parody, the lyrics don't really bother me. In fact, I find them sort of amusing if that makes any sense. "All the Wayans brothers" just sounds funny when sung in that operatic style. It's kind of like how "Twister" works as a Beastie Boys style parody even though the lyrics are essentially just the jingle.

"Syndicated Inc." is a different story because Al didn't write the music. Ultimately I find the song to be a more or less pleasant listen because I like the melody but as a Weird Al song it falls flat. (And on a similar note, while I'm not all that crazy about the lyrics to "Whatever You Like," it's the music that destroys the song for me. Not Al's fault, because even if it had his funniest lyrics ever, I still couldn't fully get into the song.)

Compare that to "Traffic Jam," the lyrics of which are more amusing than outright funny. But the music is absolutely fantastic, enough that it's my favorite song from Alapalooza. Ditto for "Frank's 2000" TV," a fan favorite. Ultimately I think it's become easier and easier to appreciate Weird Al for the music as his general songwriting and vocals have improved immensely over the years. I mean, I can't speak for everyone but I honestly would love to see a serious Al Yankovic CD, even if it's released under a pseudonym or something, because I truly believe Al could pull it off and deliver something terrific. But had he done that in the 80s? Yikes.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

For me, I can like a song with strong music and lyrics that aren't laugh-a-minute. Where the lyrics sometimes lose me is when Al sticks in a joke that I personally find yucky. Party At The Leper Colony loses me at the "head for a dip" line. Not even really a pun. Just gross. Same with If That Isn't Love, sorry to say. Nobody really thinks a sunset looks anything like a turd. The line's just there for gross-out value.

In general, though, Al lyrically improves the songs he takes on. It's his parody TARGETS that often prove a song can succeed on the basis of its music and despite the lyrics. Idiotic lyrics to supposedly serious songs are one of the keys to the success of any Weird Al polka.
Iamabrawler
Die-hard Fan

Post by Iamabrawler »

I have never been a harsh critic, so I can just say I find the up side to everything. I could even like Al songs that are not funny. In fact, either I like the lyrics for the jokes, either I like them overall, either I like the music itself (I love the acordion solo in Syndicated Inc), or sometimes I`ll like studying them to look for reasons for some lyrics that sounds bizarre.
So yes, I`d often say the music helps in getting rid of the bad feeling left behind by some less amusing jokes.
My positive side always takes over in everything, so there`s no song I really find 100% horrible.
"So I went in my garaage, got in my care
And I drived, talking with my blue teeth
My boyfreind told me don't cree
Come to my houss, don't worraye,
we'll talk about this togeedurr."
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

Iamabrawler wrote:My positive side always takes over in everything, so there`s no song I really find 100% horrible.
Same here. I don't hate any Weird Al song. I don't care for "Ringtone" just because it wasn't a favorite.

On this topic, however, I think good music can do a lot. Look at "Craigslist." The music is very interesting to listen to and the keyboard and guitar soloing is intense. The lyrics are (purposely) stupid, and the music makes up for that, so much that it's one of my favs off his new album.
Iamabrawler
Die-hard Fan

Post by Iamabrawler »

Of course, I`ll tend to skip the songs I like less, even if I do like them for a reason or another (good music, a feel for singing it out loud - good thing the folks can`t understand me here -, or whatever else). When I skip, it`s really because I`m not in the mood for that song. As an example, I`ll skip Mr. Frump if someone had died in my family.
In fact, there are indeed some Weird Al songs I like (mainly) thanks to the music. Can`t give much examples, but that`s teh case for the one I mentioned earlier on this topic, Syndicated Inc, which is one of my favorites not because of the lyrics, but because of the music. Same for Ringtone. You gotta admit that guitar solo rocks. As for Craigslist, I`m still kinda divided. But there`s no song I truly hate to the point of burning it on a CD and then go burn it with flames.
Also, I am an official country-hater. Thus, I never liked Achy Breaky Heart, but I like the fact Al says he hates it too in Achy Breaky Song. That`s why I`ll tend to listen to it a bit more. It goes both sides.
"So I went in my garaage, got in my care
And I drived, talking with my blue teeth
My boyfreind told me don't cree
Come to my houss, don't worraye,
we'll talk about this togeedurr."
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I would say it depends on the style (or in some cases even the specific song) that Al is working with.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Post by crazygurl14 »

I really like ringtone. A lot of the time when i like a song i like the actual music. Sometimes i dont even really pay attention to the actual words of the song. So yes good music can comoesate for weak lyrics. I think the only reason i listen to a Britney spears song on the radio is becasue i like the way the music sounds and not her auto-tuned voice.
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19