How do YOU eat a Reese's?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I'll read everything other than lyric spoilers.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I've been reading everything so far. But I will definitely draw the line when it comes to reading lyrics or hearing song samples. I may have to shut down my iTunes completely for a week to avoid the temptation.

But to answer Bobbi's question, I don't know how Bermuda will "tease" us this time. I don't see why he couldn't do the gradual album cover reveal again, though. I don't remember exactly what he did for "Running With Scissors," but I think that might have been an album cover reveal too, just like with "Poodle Hat."

Maybe he could do it like on the old "Classic Concentration" game show, where the whole cover is hidden and then is revealed by removing tiles, one at a time over the course of a month or a couple of weeks. Or he could post a pixelated version of the cover and then slowly un-pixelate it, bit by bit.

However he does it, I look forward to the nagging anticipation. Those last few weeks before the release are so much fun! It's strange that waiting can be so exciting, but whenever he puts out a new album, as soon as it comes out, I always end up missing the waiting period.

The "Star Wars" movies were probably the only thing that I waited for with as much excitement and anticipation as Al's albums. And now that those are over (well, except for inevitable remakes and reissues), it makes the wait for Al's albums that much more special.
Al's #27 fan
Obsessed

Post by Al's #27 fan »

I read every spoiler I can get my hands on. When I get online every day, I check to see if there are any new posts in the Spoiler Forum. However, when we get closer to the release date, I'm sure there will be audio or lyrics. I won't go near them.
Begone, foul beast!
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I'm also not at all interested in lyrics or those godawful 30 second song samples that may show up on amazon.

Al's jokes are best taken in their full and glorious context.
This means something. This is important.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

At this point, I think I know enough not to stop (Or at least I think I think I know). I'm in too deep I'm afraid

(I don't want to look, but I can't tear myself away!!!!!!!)

But I do agree witht he general spoiler consensus...I'll stop at lyrics or samples
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I gotta say I loved the 30 sec CP preview last album, I listened to it everyday numerous times. It heightened the anticipation
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

To spoil or not to spoil? It's an age old question. I intend to try to be spoiler-free for the now-in-the-works new album. It's getting to be a harder line to draw, though.

I've always defined spoilers as information/lyrics/actual songs not released by the artist or their representatives. But when they release tidbits, or even whole songs. What to do? Then, I suppose, it isn't strictly a spoiler. But does it spoil the surprise of the album?

With Al's music, I'm going to try to wait for the whole album. But if Al puts it out there, I'm likely to cave and check it out.

I'm not as anti-spoiler for other artists I like, but Al's music (because it's comedy) needs the element of surprise for you to get the full impact. After that, repeated listenings depend on the quality of the music. Luckily for us, our guys have the goods in both elements.

To answer the topic question... I like to be able to get alone with my new WAY album, put on the headphones and just experience the whole thing one song at a time. While I enjoy the cover art/liner notes. After that, I'll re-listen to the songs that I like the best.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

My take on listening to songs in advance of the album depends on two factors--how much do I like the artist and how far in advance the song is.

Oddly enough, the more I enjoy an artist, the more likely I am to avoid temptation and give the song a listen. Even if I know I'll be getting the album anyway, "second-tier" artists like Filter I would likely listen to just to get a grasp on the sound of the new album.

But as more and more artists 'preview' songs, it's become more about the distance between the song and the album. WYL is an obvious example, and then there's No Doubt's recent "Stand and Deliver" (the album's not coming out till 2010, and I don't even know if that song will be included) and Melissa auf der Maur releasing three tracks from her constantly-delayed-but-yeah-it's-supposed-to-really-be-coming-out-this-summer...or-sometime-this-year-or-whatever album last year.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

anthontherun @ May 03, 2009 12:02 pm wrote: Melissa auf der Maur releasing three tracks from her constantly-delayed-but-yeah-it's-supposed-to-really-be-coming-out-this-summer...or-sometime-this-year-or-whatever album last year.
I don't know who she is, but that should totally be the album title. :lol:
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

scottidog @ May 03, 2009 01:19 pm wrote: To spoil or not to spoil? It's an age old question. I intend to try to be spoiler-free for the now-in-the-works new album. It's getting to be a harder line to draw, though.

I've always defined spoilers as information/lyrics/actual songs not released by the artist or their representatives. But when they release tidbits, or even whole songs. What to do? Then, I suppose, it isn't strictly a spoiler. But does it spoil the surprise of the album?

With Al's music, I'm going to try to wait for the whole album. But if Al puts it out there, I'm likely to cave and check it out.

I'm not as anti-spoiler for other artists I like, but Al's music (because it's comedy) needs the element of surprise for you to get the full impact. After that, repeated listenings depend on the quality of the music. Luckily for us, our guys have the goods in both elements.

To answer the topic question... I like to be able to get alone with my new WAY album, put on the headphones and just experience the whole thing one song at a time. While I enjoy the cover art/liner notes. After that, I'll re-listen to the songs that I like the best.
I agree with you completely, Bobbi. I did allow myself to be "spoiled" with "Don't Download This Song" and "White & Nerdy." And with PH, I spoiled myself by listening to "Couch Potato." I successfully avoided any RWS spoilers, though.

I have already listened to "Whatever You Like" (which I'm actually doubtful will actually even make the album at this point). And I'll most likely cave and listen to anything else Al releases early. But in doing that, I know I will have a certain amount of disappointment in not being able to fully enjoy the first full listen. Bobbi is absolutely right about how the first listen is so unique with Al's music because it's the first time you hear the jokes. I can still fondly recall laughing hysterically and out loud through the third verse of "Hardware Store." Although the song is still brilliant musically, there has never been another listen quite as special as that first one.

When it's only the first song that's been spoiled, like with "Couch Potato," it's no big deal. You can listen to that song and sing along, almost as an opening act for the rest of the album which is brand new! But when I'll have already heard at least half of the album, the first listen experience will be dilluted.

Maybe Bobbi and I are getting a bit too nerdy with this, but I don't care. The first listen to an Al album is about as close as I get to having a "spiritual" experience! :lol: