Songs That Would Sound Awesome On a Polka

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

QUOTE It was an interesting interview (and I can't remember who was interviewing him!)... he was contrasting the way the Beatles began with the way some bands/singers get started today (apparently by extruding a plastic mass into singer-shaped molds-- my interpretation  :P )

I'm pretty sure that was on Conan.

Speaking of Ringo, am I the only one who does not like that tribute song he wrote for George? It was like he just plugged in George's song titles. Geez, how long did that take him??

QUOTE His point was that because they began by being more interested in making music than in becoming famous, he can still enjoy the satisfactions of playing with people he admires and doing music that interests him-- thus, his dreams are still coming true.

Sounds very much like a guy we talk about on here.

QUOTE I got a laugh the other day, I was WAY surfing and came across a reference to Mickey Dolenz as a \"founding member\" of the Monkees.  I guess so, if by \"founding member\" you mean he happened  fit the costume.  Don't get me wrong, I like the Monkees and Mickey was always my favorite, but didn't CBS have a whole lot more to do with the founding of the Monkees?

Actually it was NBC, but yeah, the network simply held a publicized casting call. That alone would be its own reality show now.

"Audition and perform to compete for a spot on a show about a group of musicians!"

The last time I saw the Monkees go on Leno in 2001, Jay started the interview by saying, "You're the original boy band!", which of course prompted Micky to say a Depends joke that he's been using since the middle of the last decade. But anyway, the statement I think speaks volumes on how nowadays we're so used to seeing "assembled" groups and contests to start bands that back in 1966 this was almost like a sacrilege.

But at the very least each of the Monkees had defining personalities (granted they were Beatles-based), and these were evident by simply watching the show for five minutes: Mike was the leader, Davy was the loverboy, Micky was the silly one, and Peter was the shy, not-too-bright one. Can anyone list such characteristics for the members of N'SYNC, the Backstreet Boys, or even the Jacksons?
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

QUOTE Can anyone list such characteristics for the members of N'SYNC, the Backstreet Boys, or even the Jacksons?

Um...A.J. had odd hair, Justin dated Britney...

I'm getting boybands mixed up.

I guess that answer is no. Their personalities seem to be very bland and can't tell them apart.

-CindyBob

:stupid:
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Actually it was NBC, but yeah, the network simply held a publicized casting call.  That alone would be its own reality show now.

I knew I would get that wrong. And I knew someone would have the correct answer.

QUOTE Audition and perform to compete for a spot on a show about a group of musicians!\"

Hasn't MTV already done something like that. A few times? Seems like there was a battle of the bands type show, then the Phenomenon Known As O-Town. And I saw somesuch with P. Diddy putting together a musical stable. Or doesn't Puffy call himself P. Diddy anymore? :sarcasm:
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I'm pretty sure that was on Conan.

*OE smacks forehead* Yes, it was.

QUOTE QUOTE His point was that because they began by being more interested in making music than in becoming famous, he can still enjoy the satisfactions of playing with people he admires and doing music that interests him-- thus, his dreams are still coming true.

Sounds very much like a guy we talk about on here.

Actually it sounds very much like several guys we talk about on here. TBITB are that kind of musician too, and so will never run out of intrinsic satisfactions.
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

2gether, I believe. I remeber the girls in my class crying in math when the one guy died...same ones that know the personal history of Ruben Studdard now. And not Ruben Valitierra...
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

QUOTE 2gether, I believe. I remeber the girls in my class crying in math when the one guy died...same ones that know the personal history of Ruben Studdard now. And not Ruben Valitierra...

Does anybody know the history of Ruben Valtierra? He's probably done the best job of all at keeping his offstage life offstage.

Or maybe nobody has bothered to ask. :P
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

Probably the only artist I know that has a 2 paragraph bio on their site in big print.

Maybe Ruben brought the cone bra over from his personal life... :biggrin: Sorry Ruben, couldnt help.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Well, you know... Rubén is the new kid. He's only been with Al since, what? 1991? And he seems so... shy.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

There is something I've wondered about Ruben. His bio says he attended UC Santa Cruz. Tom Lehrer was a math teacher at UC Santa Cruz for quite awhile (only retired recently). I wonder if their paths ever crossed there, or even if Ruben might have taken one of TL's math courses.

El
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Maybe we should have an Ask TBITB column for Poodle Hat... (In addition to, not instead of, Ask Al.)