Songs That Would Sound Awesome On a Polka

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

So let's pick this topic back up...any suggestions for a better AWBP? I think it's good enough, but I know some people's opinions are mixed.
I would have liked it better if it ended with Without Me. And I loved the earlier Missy Eliot, Work It suggestion, but she's just not "angry white boy" enough.

El

It doesn't have to be an Angry White Boy song to be in AWBP, Al could just be calling himself an Angry White Boy.

I like that. Let's hear Al try the chorus on that one!
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Post by jerrymustbeslaughtered »

well, if you are saying that the AWB title refers to the bands in it, then technically System of a Down should be taken out, because they are angry armenians. But that depends on if you think armenians are considered white. If Chop Suey were taken out though, I would officially hate every single song in it.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

But that depends on if you think armenians are considered white.

Armenians are the very definition of "Caucasian."
Lauren27
Addicted

Post by Lauren27 »

I got a laugh the other day, I was WAY surfing and came across a reference to Mickey Dolenz as a "founding member" of the Monkees. I guess so, if by "founding member" you mean he happened fit the costume. Don't get me wrong, I like the Monkees and Mickey was always my favorite, but didn't CBS have a whole lot more to do with the founding of the Monkees?
Actually it was NBC, but yeah, the network simply held a publicized casting call. That alone would be its own reality show now.

"Audition and perform to compete for a spot on a show about a group of musicians!"

The last time I saw the Monkees go on Leno in 2001, Jay started the interview by saying, "You're the original boy band!", which of course prompted Micky to say a Depends joke that he's been using since the middle of the last decade. But anyway, the statement I think speaks volumes on how nowadays we're so used to seeing "assembled" groups and contests to start bands that back in 1966 this was almost like a sacrilege.

But at the very least each of the Monkees had defining personalities (granted they were Beatles-based), and these were evident by simply watching the show for five minutes: Mike was the leader, Davy was the loverboy, Micky was the silly one, and Peter was the shy, not-too-bright one. Can anyone list such characteristics for the members of N'SYNC, the Backstreet Boys, or even the Jacksons?

*whew* Glad I didn't have to explain that, for a change.

And actually, it very well may be a reality show. I saw somewhere that there may be a New Monkees (yes, again) in the form of a reality show (the article mentioned trying to get Micky on the show).

Personally, I think it sounds like another "Making Of The Band" :huh:

:listen: :listen:

I'd love to hear a Monkees polka! Any selection of songs, or even a "Mary, Mary" polka (hey, if Run DMC can change the style...) 8)

(And wouldn't you know, a post about the Monkees & this is my 27th post)
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

OK, It's WAY too late to appear in the Angry White Boy Polka, but if it becomes a big hit and it doesn't take too long for Al's next ALbum, the new Metallica song, "St. Anger" just sounds destined to be polka-ized,
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

I would have proabably used In The End by Linkin Park instead of Real Slim Shady. It just has a better closing to it. And Here to Stay or something else by KoRn would have fit in good as well. Also, I would proaoably used a different Rage Against the Machine song, since Renagdes of Funk is actually a REMAKE of a song by Afrika Bambata and hte Sonic Soul Force, who are NOT angry White Boys.
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Korn has a song called here to stay? man, the lameness comes in layers...
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

I think that's what it was called. It came out in the spring/summer of last year and featured a bunch of images of stuff on a tv.
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Well, I don't listen to the radio, or watch the music television, so I wouldn't know.
ilikecheezealot
Occasional

Post by ilikecheezealot »

I'm bored, so I'm making a list of what MY perfect AWBP would be, how I would change it....not that Al's version isn't awesome...

Papa Roach "Last Resort"

SOAD "Chop Suey"

Liam Lynch "U.S. Of Whatever"

Hives "Hate To Say I Told You To"

Linkin Park "One Step Closer

Kid Rock "Bawitdaba" (getting the "doo wop" treatment)

Disturbed "Down With The Sickness"

Incubus "Pardon Me"

Limp Bizkit "My Way"

Staind "Outside"

Sum41 "Still Waiting"

Green Day "Minority"

Eminem "Real Slim Shady"

Note: I don't neccesarily like all these bands (i.e Limp Bizkit), but I'm just saying what I thought would be the best.