How come the polkas have never gotten attention?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Interrobang
Die-hard Fan

Re: How come the polkas have never gotten attention?

Post by Interrobang »

Both Hooked on Polkas and Polka Power! were released as singles in Japan and Germany, respectively, and neither got much attention at all.
We're gonna yodel like it's 1999!

You weasel-faced dog boy!
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Interrobang wrote:Both Hooked on Polkas and Polka Power! were released as singles in Japan and Germany, respectively, and neither got much attention at all.
I recently read about those single releases at All Things Yankovic, and had been wondering how I missed that info.

I guess it'd be out of the question for a "Polka Album" compilation to come out.

I feel like some of the polkas are fairly popular. I know many of them were featured on AL-TV, reediting the actual music videos with the music substituted. And Polka Your Eyes Out was included in Permaneant Record and Greatets Hits Vol. 2. And Polkas on 45s was included in The Essential Weird Al Yankovic.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Oh, the polkas are popular. Just search "weird al polka" on Youtube and all of them have at least a million hits.

But not enough to warrant a single release and having to pay all those royalties... it's just easier and more economical to have them album-only.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

weirdojace wrote:Oh, the polkas are popular. Just search "weird al polka" on Youtube and all of them have at least a million hits.
I don't know whether this would make a big difference regarding popularity, but YouTube counts all views of a video from any computer as a hit, including however many times one watches a video on the same computer. So it's possible that a good chunk of those views are from the same people rewatching them over and over again, but I don't know for sure (I'm sure a good number of people have viewed them at least once). Of course YouTubers can only like/dislike videos once (and you have to have a YouTube account to do so).
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

You can like more than once, I believe, just on a separate visit to the page. However, I do not know if it counts it more than once per user.

Also I watched each of the polkas on YouTube at least 200000 times so you can attribute those to me.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect
oddaustin
Regular

Post by oddaustin »

wats is a pokuh?
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

All my friends have to deal with "Al" when they ride in my car with me... and every single one of them hate the polka's.... don't know why.. but to me that makes them unworthy of a "single" treatment... polkas will forever remain just for the fans
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
qingjan

Post by qingjan »

:spam:
Last edited by Driew_La_27 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam