Sales Number

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Way_Moby
Obsessed

Sales Number

Post by Way_Moby »

Does anybody know the specific sales numbers for each of Al's albums?

I read at http://www.al-oholicsanonymous.com/inte ... eloit.html that "Bad Hair Day" has sold more than 1.7 million copies. Is that domestic or foreign? Most likely that former, but there's no source... :(

I started using hitsdailydouble, and, from what I could calculate, Al sold 106,664 copies of "Poodle Hat" for the first three months he was on the chart, and he sold 199,817 copies of "Straight Outta Lynwood" before it too fell off the chart. Knowing that the latter went gold, these charts are obviously missing portions of his sales, most likely due to the fact that they only show the Top 50 albums.

Please don't tell me what we already know: "XXX went Platinum, that means it sold at least 1 million copies!!! LOLZ" HeHe, I know that. ;) I want to know if you guys know any specific numbers and legit sources? :) Thanks!
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Re: Sales Number

Post by HappyGilmore »

In all honesty, I really could only guess where to find that information. Namely, I'm sure if you were to look the information up on the Rolling Stone website (magazine, not the band), they could have it. As well as Billboard, as they track all sales throughout the year. Other than that, although less reliable, would be Wikipedia. But they generally have the 'final' number of albums sold, so you're looking for a week-to-week style thing you would have to do some deep digging.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

HappyGilmore wrote:In all honesty, I really could only guess where to find that information. Namely, I'm sure if you were to look the information up on the Rolling Stone website (magazine, not the band), they could have it. As well as Billboard, as they track all sales throughout the year. Other than that, although less reliable, would be Wikipedia. But they generally have the 'final' number of albums sold, so you're looking for a week-to-week style thing you would have to do some deep digging.
HeHe, I'm actually using this information to help improve Wikipedia. ;)

While Billboard tracks sales, it has never published them, so I can't search through either the magazines or the website. Same thing with Rolling Stone, except I don't think Rolling Stone even researches album numbers... Oh well. :(
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Way_Moby wrote:
HappyGilmore wrote:In all honesty, I really could only guess where to find that information. Namely, I'm sure if you were to look the information up on the Rolling Stone website (magazine, not the band), they could have it. As well as Billboard, as they track all sales throughout the year. Other than that, although less reliable, would be Wikipedia. But they generally have the 'final' number of albums sold, so you're looking for a week-to-week style thing you would have to do some deep digging.
HeHe, I'm actually using this information to help improve Wikipedia. ;)

While Billboard tracks sales, it has never published them, so I can't search through either the magazines or the website. Same thing with Rolling Stone, except I don't think Rolling Stone even researches album numbers... Oh well. :(
I don't know if Stone researches the numbers, but last times I read it, they used to have charts at the back of the magazine. Dunno if that's since changed. Been years since I read it. Only other sources I could think of would be if maybe Al's record company posts information on their main site or any Al-related site they have (obviously, not WeirdAl.com). I'd like to know, personally.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

RS Charts are compiled from other sources, mostly Billboard.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

TMBJon wrote:RS Charts are compiled from other sources, mostly Billboard.
Wasn't sure. Been a long time since I read the magazine.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

I got a lifetime subscription for $99, so I will continue to receive issues of Rolling Stone for free until the day I die.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

TMBJon wrote:I got a lifetime subscription for $99, so I will continue to receive issues of Rolling Stone for free until the day I die.
Gosh, I hope not. I'm confident that you'll last longer than RS.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

All I know is on the bottom sticker where it says my name and address, the subscription end date is listed as December 2055 (I signed up in December 2005). When I ordered this lifetime subscription, they told me that after 12/55 they would check up on me every few years "just to see if I was still alive."
As to your point about the magazine, I actually doubt Rolling Stone the brand will go out of business despite the overall lagging sales of the industry. The recent innovations brought about by the iPad lead me to believe the magazine industry can be saved by transforming from paper to screen.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

TMBJon wrote:All I know is on the bottom sticker where it says my name and address, the subscription end date is listed as December 2055 (I signed up in December 2005). When I ordered this lifetime subscription, they told me that after 12/55 they would check up on me every few years "just to see if I was still alive."
As to your point about the magazine, I actually doubt Rolling Stone the brand will go out of business despite the overall lagging sales of the industry. The recent innovations brought about by the iPad lead me to believe the magazine industry can be saved by transforming from paper to screen.
I don't even see it in some stores around here, sadly. I used to read it quite frequently back in high school. Read a good piece about some Meth-head and his utter ability to commit criminal acts I won't name here, then the next month Marilyn Manson (of all people) wrote a pretty good article about the Columbine tragedy and how, while it was a sad occurance, it marked the seeming rise of certain people's attempts to pull the blame from themselves as parents and blaming violence in media as an influence on their kids lives. While admitting that it has some influence, he made some good points about other facts.

Hopefully, as you said, with the iPad they can keep it going.