Discontinued Albums

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: Discontinued Albums

Post by minnick27 »

Of course you can still buy it new. They are still selling it, just not pressing anymore. Once they are sold out, thats it.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

You know, just recently I've been wondering if Polka Party or UHF (or any album from about ten or more years ago that hadn't gone gold by now) have any good chances of becomming gold now with iTunes downloads. I mean people can just download any song from the albums as opposed to the whole albums. If only one or two songs are downloaded at a time, do they count towards the album's sales?
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

I think it only counts when somebody downloads the entire album at once.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

weird user wrote:You know, just recently I've been wondering if Polka Party or UHF (or any album from about ten or more years ago that hadn't gone gold by now) have any good chances of becomming gold now with iTunes downloads. I mean people can just download any song from the albums as opposed to the whole albums. If only one or two songs are downloaded at a time, do they count towards the album's sales?
weirdojace wrote:I think it only counts when somebody downloads the entire album at once.
Yeah, I really think it revolves around if some downloads the whole album at once.

I really wish we had sales numbers for how much Al's catalog has sold/shipped.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Until SoundScan starts disclosing that information to the public I doubt we'll ever know.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Of course I wonder if an album can be considered to have "sold a copy" online if all tracks had been purchased seperately but by different people.

Too bad about these, especially Polka Party. Just recently a local Hot Topic had a bulletin board question for customers, asking "Who is the best band and what is their best album?" I thought about writing in "Weird Al Yankovic, Polka Party".
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Around the time of release of SOL, someone (Al in an interview?) indicated that in regard to downloads, the RIAA allows the option to count ten downloads of a single as either just that or as one download of the corresponding album.

So, in a hypothetical case here, if 500,000 people downloaded, say, "Living with a Hernia," Al would be allowed to either just leave it at that and have that single go Gold...or he could instead count all those as merely 50,000 copies of "Polka Party!" downloaded.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interrobang
Die-hard Fan

Post by Interrobang »

So Polka Party still has a chance!
We're gonna yodel like it's 1999!

You weasel-faced dog boy!
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

That almost seems like cheating in a way.

For instance, a popular artist could make an AWESOME debut single, fill the rest of their album with literally 40 minutes of silence. Then the single sells 2 million copies, and the artist could say he sold 200,000 albums? That seems askew.
weird user wrote:Of course I wonder if an album can be considered to have "sold a copy" online if all tracks had been purchased seperately but by different people.

Too bad about these, especially Polka Party. Just recently a local Hot Topic had a bulletin board question for customers, asking "Who is the best band and what is their best album?" I thought about writing in "Weird Al Yankovic, Polka Party".
God forbid! You'd have all the "emo" and "punk" kids jumping up and down whining about Forever the Sickest Kids and Rise Against. :D
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

it's not cheating if you don't get caught.
taste is only something if it is yours.