A Problem I Have With A Lot Of Al's Songs

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: A Problem I Have With A Lot Of Al's Songs

Post by Killingsworth »

dynaboyj wrote:The only song that seems to have a non-giving-away name is Good Old Days.
...and the only parodies are "Theme From Rocky XIII" before "The Food Album" was released as well as "Confessions Part III" and "A Complicated Song"
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

"Why Does This Always Happen to Me?" probably could have benefited from removing the last two words. But I generally don't even look at all the packaging beyond a quick glance during my first listen. So while I probably did see all the titles on the back, I didn't retain it enough to see the joke coming.

On a similar but unrelated note--I think there was an issue with a lot of the parody titles on Poodle Hat in that Al made it a point to make you unable to guess what the source material was. Not that the titles he chose were any worse than what they could've been (save "Ode to a Superhero" and ironically "A Complicated Song" in which it was too obvious) but I can't imagine it did anything to help the album.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

The problem I have is with the songs that have titles basically saying

WARNING! THIS SONG IS A COMEDY SONG!

This is part of the reason that I dislike Alapalooza. It's just so... obvious that it's a comedy album, with titles like She Never Told Me She Was A Ridiculously Long Song Title (Also, Mimes) and Waffle King.

Compare that to, say, BHD, with Since You've Been Gone and I Remember Larry, which sound like normal, "common" artist songs.

(COMMA ATTACK! ,,,,,)
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

dynaboyj wrote:The only song that seems to have a non-giving-away name is Good Old Days.
No kidding! When I first bought that album in 1988, I thought it was going to be a parody of the Dukes of Hazzard theme song. :lol:
Iamabrawler
Die-hard Fan

Post by Iamabrawler »

Well, usually titles don`t cause me much trouble. I think on a few songs which were actually the inverted things of what I thought it would be.

Albuquerque: Back then I thought it was a tour of the city, with some good jokes thrown around, but then I noticed the city would as well have been any American city and it would have worked.

Melanie - Not the average love song I thought it was.

Wanna B Ur LuvR - since the title used shortened words, I thought it was at first a geek love story. I was wrong, it turned out to be "Top 30 of things you must never ever tell a girl".

These are just examples, after all there are many more songs where the title fooled me into thinking something while the subject was something else.
"So I went in my garaage, got in my care
And I drived, talking with my blue teeth
My boyfreind told me don't cree
Come to my houss, don't worraye,
we'll talk about this togeedurr."