What's The First Al Song You Heard?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Re: What's The First Al Song You Heard?

Post by anthontherun »

I had the exact same reaction when I first heard "Gotta Boogie" when I was 7. I know some people cringe and think the song is juvenile, but it's always remained a favorite because of that first listen, which I remember vividly (it was my second Al song after "Ricky").

Welcome, heath! Cool to have a new member who's been a fan since the early days. :w
Troodon
Occasional

Post by Troodon »

First song I have a clear memory of hearing was "Yoda," though I didn't even know it was by Weird Al at the time. (I also have a vague memory of seeing a music video for "I Lost on Jeopardy" in a clothing store, also before I had clear knowledge of who Weird Al was.) It must have been when it was first out too. I more or less discovered Weird Al (knowing who he was) in college many years after that, when his most recent album out was Alapalooza. My roommate at the time was a big fan, and I discovered Al by listening to his albums, and then sought them out for myself.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

My roommate showed me "The Saga Begins", "White & Nerdy" and "Amish Paradise" consecutively, and I'm 86% sure it was in that order. Unfortunately at the time I had this horrible mobile internet that took an hour to download one mp3 song (if everything is OK), so I haven't investigated further until few years later.

Although the first time I came across "Weird Al" Yankovic's name was when my friend gave me a music CD containing such masterpieces as "oops I'm pregnant again" and "make my boobies one more size" :lol:
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

The first time I had heard Al I think I was in fourth grade. And I think my friends and I were at someone's house for a sleepover. Poodle Hat was the newest album at the time, so we listened to a couple songs off of it. Then a couple of his earliest hits. It was the most mesmerizing thing any of us had ever heard. When Lynwood came out, we all gathered again to watch the music video collection, and were utterly amazed. Then, eventually, everyone grew out of it....and here I am. 8)
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

My Bologna when it first appeared on Dr Demento's Funny Five. Nov 1979.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

mellow weasel wrote:
Although the first time I came across "Weird Al" Yankovic's name was when my friend gave me a music CD containing such masterpieces as "oops I'm pregnant again" and "make my boobies one more size" :lol:
Ugh. Such a shame these people want to ride on the Al bus by claiming songs like that are by him.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Annie27
Addicted

Post by Annie27 »

I wish I knew what the first Al song I heard was, but I've been listening to Al since I was 2, so I don't remember.
Concerts: 5/30/15
6/24/16
3/25/18
7/06/19

"I have to assume my enemies are idiots"- Al Yankovic
Devoted Al fan since the very young age of two
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Annie27 wrote:I wish I knew what the first Al song I heard was, but I've been listening to Al since I was 2, so I don't remember.
So your parents are also fans?
Annie27
Addicted

Post by Annie27 »

My dad likes Al a lot, my mom is fine with him.
Concerts: 5/30/15
6/24/16
3/25/18
7/06/19

"I have to assume my enemies are idiots"- Al Yankovic
Devoted Al fan since the very young age of two
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Annie27 wrote:My dad likes Al a lot, my mom is fine with him.
Cool :)

I'm giggling to myself because your previous post made me think for a moment "Annie is almost an anagram for Nina :foil: , how old is she?", and in that context this post of yours is really funny :lol: