What Makes An Album A Hit?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

Hi. Something I noticed as I am married to someone who had heard about 3 Al songs in her whole life before meeting me. She doesn't care much for his songs although she admits to him "using his talent for evil" (Jokingly of course, and at least she recognizes his skills) that when she does find a song of his that she likes, it's because she relates to it.

This brings me to the point. (Finally) The successful songs are the ones that people relate to. If you were not a couch potato to the proper shows, then Couch Potato doesn't relate to you. Many people use Ebay, so they relate to it, and thus find it amusing. My wife and I are nerds, so when she heard White and Nerdy she played it for people on her own, even though she's not an Al fan in any way and can't stand half his stuff, his song relates to many of us.

That's the lyrical aspect. There's also the musical aspect. It not only has to be a song a person relates to, but a style that people who relate to the lyrics enjoy. I use Craigslist, and thought I'd like the song Craigslist. Sadly, one of my least favorite bands of all time is the Doors. So a song that could've won me over failed the biggest he has ever failed me.

Then there are the songs that are just great musical styles, so the lyrics can be less than brilliant and still be enjoyable songs. His songs are even great after the humor wears off (I have to admit that when you listen to his songs 30 times in a row, you aren't always going to still laugh at them, but they're still amazing.)

Successful Al songs combine both relatable/enjoyable lyrics with a liked style. If one of those are off, the song is less successful.
:)
AHHHHH! Neon Noodle!!!
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I personally think "The Saga Begins" should be considered a 'fluke hit'. It's one of the few Weird Al songs I remember from my youth, along with the "Big Six". I remember the song was huge when the movie came out, and I even remember hearing it on a non-comedy radio! :whoot:

I do think making fun of people is where it's at, but I have to firmly say that I believe "The Sage Begins" was indeed a hit, probably just slighty under par to "Amish Paradise". The biggest reason I don't think it charted was due to the whole Scotti Bros./Volcano transition, and this was before digital downloads counted for anything (Did they even have those back them?). Volcano didn't release commercial single, and while a song that got heavy rotation on radio stations could chart, "The Saga Begins" (And for that matter, none except for maybe "Eat It", which did receive quite a bit of radio attention) didn't have a chance to chart due to the fact it wasn't 'spun' enough, despite it being very popular with children and adults alike.

NOTE: You do have to remember, some of Yankovic's big hits weren't exactly Billboard hits either. Case in point, "Fat" which only reached No. 99 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

[quote=""Bruce The Duck""]
So, Al, when you're releasing all of these songs on iTunes, go ahead and release whatever you like (no pun intended). But when you're figuring out what to do for the lead single, forget about movies, TV, and food. Think about what group of people you can make fun of for your next album! Will it be Muslims? Christians? Latinos? Midgets? Goth kids? Disney artists? It doesn't really matter WHO you make fun of! Just pick somebody and let's have another smash hit single!
[/quote]

After reading this thread, I have to say Bruce here (if that is his REAL name...) makes a very valid point altogether. Al should try to find something or someone specific to make fun of if he wants to have another HUGE hit single with MASSIVE commercial appeal, but personally, I just don't want him go too far into hackneyed overdone Carlos Mencia territory and lose his integrity in doing so. According to this principal, I think Alapalooza would've been at least as big of a hit as OTDE and BHD of Al had chosen to make a video for "Achy Breaky Song" and made that the first lead-off single...wouldn't it be hilarious to see glasses/moustache era Al with a mullet wig doing his own wacky, more energetic take on Billy Ray's dance moves?Anyway, back to what I was trying to say before...Al is respected as an artist so much because he is dedicated to his unique craft and not soley driven by money, materialism and greed much like 90% of the music industry and he doesn't want to become another vapid, self improtant, cookie cutter entertainer in the process. He doesn't want to change his image, he wants to stay true to himself. I think "Pretty Fly For a Rabbi" was the absolute limit as far as someone like Al should probably go in even MENTIONING let alone poking fun at race or religion of an kind and I personally would HARDLY consider it mocking the Jewish faith as much as possibly celebrating it. This wasn't a mean spirited song or critical in any way, is what I'm saying. Al shouldn't try always push the envelope or be edgy 24/7 because there are to many people out there already trying to do that and some of them are failing miserably. If there's one thing Al truly cared about throughout his whole career, it's standing out from the crowd (but not necessarily grabbing attention.)

Yes, its' true that song parodies about film and television never always sell that well, but that's mainly because all of Al's TV songs are mostly done in praise of the Nick At Nite/TV Land fair of his childhood. CP and I Cant Watch This certainly strayed from that, but they weren't commercial sucesses just because they were all over the place in their approach. If Al wants to write another TV song that turns out to be a commercial success beyond the established fanbase, he should just focus on ONE particularly awful program in particular and make fun of that instead of just a bunch in a row for one song. He'd certainly have an over-abindance of material to write about. Normally, I'd say it wouldn't have to be a rap song or even be a parody or have an accompanying video, but if he wants another MASSIVE hit, he would have to meet all three of those criteria and blatantly pander to the generally stupid publics' vapid, derivative tastes in Top 40 overplayed radio fare.

If you managed to bring yourself to read the entire post up to this point, I'd like to hear your thoughts...
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

caseyk27 @ June 29, 2009 08:09 pm wrote: Bruce here (if that is his REAL name...) makes a very valid point altogether.
It's not. :ph34r:

personally, I just don't want him go too far into hackneyed overdone Carlos Mencia territory and lose his integrity in doing so.
Careful, Bruce the Duck is a huge Carlos Mencia fan!! 8)
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Mmm, I bet Bruce likes fishsticks in his mouth.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
L285
Die-hard Fan

Post by L285 »

I wouldn't say Fat, Amish Paradise or White & Nerdy made fun of the fat, the amish or the nerdy
“Since you left home on your journey, things have changed around here. For example, I don’t have as much laundry.”