1984 Concert At Wolfgang's Vault

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Way early in his career when he was touring with Dr. Demento, Al generally played two sets the same day. I didn't do a side by side comparison, but usually the earlier sets were just a few songs shorter. Does the early set in this case have any added songs or is it pretty much the same show?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

The songlist is the same, and I'm listening to the concert right now, and I don't hear any noticeable differences. He even makes the same jokes between songs.

I mean, obviously it's great for Al he got to play twice the same day, but I'm not sure what's the reasoning from the people at that website that made them think that releasing the same concert twice was a good idea.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

AlejandraDD @ January 11, 2009 12:57 pm wrote: He even makes the same jokes between songs.
Good to know this is a Weird Al tradition dating back to his earliest shows... 8)
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

I'm not obsessively doing a side-by-side comparison and noting the differences, but if I were, they'd be:

He says "Hello, Buffalo, are you ready to rock and roll?!!" before saying that they're going to do some blues first.

He does a bit more of random screaming and yelling (??!!) between songs. I know he had that mock way of warming up his voice (or was it "tuning" his accordion?). Either way, I'm glad he's not doing it anymore, because that's VERY VERY BAD for his voice.

He asks if there are any fans of Mr. Popeil in the audience (he counts 45) and he explains he invented the Veg-O-matic before starting with Mr. Popeil (the other recording doesn't have an introduction for this song)

When he says they're taping the show, he adds "there's a pretty good chance I'll be listening to it tonight in my car on the way home" before correcting himself and saying that no, actually, it's for the King Biscuit Flower Hour ("say hi to America!!").

"Hello, can you hear me in the back, there?"

He did the same intro for the Food Medley, but he didn't use the phrase "This is our fabulous Foooood Medley", which amuses me far more than it should.

Dr. Demento mentions that the concert shirts are only 7 dollars. Awesome. Now I only need a time machine to go back to 1984 and buy one.

And... that's pretty much it.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

AlFest 2009
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Thanks Ale.. :)
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Sounds like you definitely were NOT doing a side by side comparison.
AlejandraDD
Obsessed

Post by AlejandraDD »

TMBJon @ January 11, 2009 08:02 pm wrote: Sounds like you definitely were NOT doing a side by side comparison.
Exactly ;)

AlFest 2009
flusher5
Addicted

Post by flusher5 »

AlejandraDD @ January 11, 2009 10:55 pm wrote: Dr. Demento mentions that the concert shirts are only 7 dollars. Awesome. Now I only need a time machine to go back to 1984 and buy one.
and I had to pay $50 for mine more then 20 years later.
I wonder how many were even sold, I would think a lot of people would buy shirts and stuff to have, because a lot of people buy shirts at every concert they go to, and im sure a lot of them got donated to thrift stores and thrown away in the late 80s and 90s becuase they thought they would never be worth anything. same thing with the Stupid tour shirts
Rice in my Laundry, Lice in my Milk.

call me "Ben" not flusher
WAYFan
Addicted

Post by WAYFan »

I never realized how risque IICMLTAB was!
Janet! Dr. Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky! (BULLWINKLE!)

Hellooooooooooooooo, Nurse!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: 1984 Concert At Wolfgang's Vault

Post by TMBJon »

Just want to report back that this officially sanctioned bootleg is still very, very awesome!!

If anyone hasn't heard it, definitely download the mp3s!!!
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f1677f17 ... ew=details" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;