Peter And The Wolf

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Peter And The Wolf

Post by scottidog »

I was checking out the Wendy Carlos site. It seems to indicate that there is some, small, remote, even if unlikely chance that it will be re-released...

An original, improbable pairing of artists. The CD included an original Carnival of the Animals, pt. 2. The result is musical humor in a very fresh new way. Recently became out of print, according to Sony Music (stay tuned).
That'd be WAY MOBY, huh?

There's also a quote from Al:
A few words by Al Yankovic

I've been asked to write a few words about this new version of Peter And The Wolf - but what can I possibly say? To call it the greatest recording ever made since the beginning of time would be an understatement. This record heralds a bold new age, a quantum leap in the evolution of mankind ... and it also makes a swell Christmas gift.

There are many reasons that I decided to do this album. First of all, I knew it would be a great thrill for me to work with Wendy Carlos, having enjoyed her work since I was an embryo. Also, I thought that by now I would be fully prepared to tackle a Classical album, having seen "Amadeus" twice on cable TV. And, of course, I felt particularly close to this project, having been told by my spiritual advisor that I was Sergei Prokofiev's barber in a former life.

But what really clinched the deal for me was the incessant begging and groveling from the executives at CBS Masterworks. I just love that stuff. I hope you enjoy listening to this album as much as Wendy and I enjoyed getting paid for it. This is by far the best version of Peter And The Wolf that I've recorded so far this year, and I'm sure that you and your family will treasure it for days, perhaps even weeks to come.

--Al Yankovic

I wonder if a little incessant begging to the executives at CBS Masterworks would do any good?
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

~crosses fingers for it to be re-released~

I'm hoping for it because I can't afford the regular ebay price it likes to go for.

-CindyBob

:stupid:
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

No kidding. A tad off topic... I did find a copy of The Authorized Al on Amazon for something like $138, in not great condition. I had a folded cover. Yikes!
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

The skinny on "Peter"

Post by CatraDhtem »

I coulda sworn we talked about this not too long ago, but for the life of me I can't find the thread.

So to quickly sum up.....

Wendy Carlos' catalog is slowly being reissued by a label called East Side Digital. "Peter and the Wolf" was seemingly high on their list of albums they wanted to rerelease early on, but apparently there is some problem involving rights to the work. The label said that Wendy's management was trying to solve the problem (the rights were "tied up," they say), but there hasn't been any news since April.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Re: The skinny on "Peter"

Post by scottidog »

I coulda sworn we talked about this not too long ago, but for the life of me I can't find the thread.

So to quickly sum up.....
Yeah, me too. I remember that you posted something, but I couldn't find it. So I started a new topic...
The label said that Wendy's management was trying to solve the problem (the rights were "tied up," they say), but there hasn't been any news since April.

Tied up by whom? Surely not Al, and presumably not Wendy. Don't tell me Michael owns this too?

<Scottidog tries to make nice with Mr. Jackson. :)>
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

The label said that Wendy's management was trying to solve the problem (the rights were "tied up," they say)
Tied up by whom? Surely not Al, and presumably not Wendy.

I can't figure that out, either. I think I also kinda speculated on this before.

Al knows there is a demand for this release, and although I'm not sure exactly what kind of royalties he'd be entitled to, he would most likely receive them no matter which label releases it. So, it's doubtful that Al would put up a fight to prevent its release.

Perhaps CBS (or rather, Sony Music) still holds some rights to it since it was a special project for them. But one would think that Wendy's management would have known that before announcing the reissue on her web site.

Or, and personally this is what I think is the most likely, Volcano could be the one halting the rerelease. After all, after they obtained All American Music/Scotti Bros., Al was the ONLY Scotti artist they kept. Maybe the label feels that they hold the rights to reissue any Weird Al project.....or maybe they simply want a piece of the action from East Side Digital.

You know, it seems like this stuff can only happen with Al! :huh:
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Or, and personally this is what I think is the most likely, Volcano could be the one halting the rerelease. After all, after they obtained All American Music/Scotti Bros., Al was the ONLY Scotti artist they kept.

Really? Wow. So Volcano decided that the ONLY value of the Scotti Bros. label was that they'd signed Al!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

D'oh!

Why didn't I think of that!

Oh, wait. Maybe because my piggy bank ain't that big. But you know you can arrange a private meeting with Al for the bargain basement price of $27,000!
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

==> Here it is.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Alucard
Occasional

Post by Alucard »

What do you all think of this CD? Anyone know where I can find it? Been looking for ages!