Weird Al Yankovic Reviews

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

Akrovak @ Dec 29 2004, 09:10 PM wrote: I know ... I'm just glad that the producers of the album didn't decide to take it to the studio and try to make it "better" ... I like the way it sounds.
Well there IS a studio version, it was released when it first came out. When they re-released it they decided to put the live one on there. ;)
In hiding since 2010
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

Oh ... is that recording available somewhere? I mean, on another one of his albums or something? (I admit I don't have his greatest hits or compilation albums). Just curious.
PMFL!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Driew, what are you talking about? I've never heard a studio version of that song. Also, the Mothership does not say anything about any other recording other than the live one from the Dr. Demento show.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Driew_La_27 @ Dec 30 2004, 12:58 AM wrote: Well there IS a studio version, it was released when it first came out.  When they re-released it they decided to put the live one on there. ;)
Driew, what are you smoking? There's no studio version of AORTB. The album version is taken from the live performance on The Dr. Demento Show. I like the unpolished sound of it too. I think had they tried to re-record it, it would have lost a lot of its charm.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Thank you, Dave, for confirming that Driew was definitely not operating on all four cylinders when he posted about a studio version of AORTB. Maybe he was thinking of a different song? Or perhaps he was confused about The Placebo EP. That was the first release that had AORTB, in all it's live, unpolished glory, on it. No studio version exists. Ok, Driew?

So awesome!

Al Team #325
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Here's my review:

Ricky ~ I thought this was a very cute song, and a cute video as well. 8/10

Gotta Boogie ~ Yeah, it's childish, and kinda gross, but the whole idea of thinking it was about dancing, and then finding out it wasn''t added to it's charm for me. It's good for a chuckle. 7/10

I Love Rocky Road ~ Love the song, love the video. 9/10

Buckingham Blues ~ Yes, this song was timely at the time it was relaeased, and it doesn't hold up by today's standards, but I still love it. And I think of Charles and Diana as they were back then when I hear it, and not about the present. 8/10

Happy Birthday ~ I love hearing this one, even when it's not my birthday! 9/10

Stop Draggin' My Car Around ~ Even though the original song was a duet between Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks, Al's parody works just fine with Al singing the whole song all by himself. Mad props for that! 9/10

My Bologna ~ the very first song by Al that I heard on the radio. *sigh* I was a big Knack fan, and became an Al fan upon hearing this song. 10/10

The Check's in the Mail ~ This song has a certain charm about it that endears me to it. I'm sure Al had encountered many people like the character in the song in his quest for stardom. 8/10

Another One Rides the Bus ~ As has been stated before, the raw, unpolished aura about this song is what makes it a winner. 10/10

I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead ~ Our own Russian fan, Seva and I share a love of this song, and we both consider it our motto in life. I really like this one. I love when Al says "Like wow, man, can you relate?" :lol: 9/10

Such a Groovy Guy ~ I love this one, too. Gotta love an early Al song with sexual innuendo. :S 8/10

Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung ~ I like this one. It's kinda cute and catchy, and is alwas good for a smile. 8/10

Overall rating: 9/10. I really don't skip any songs on this one. I love it!

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

Sheesh okay sorry! No need to go and shot me! :o Sorry I got confused! A simple, "You're wrong" was all I needed to hear. :rolleyes:
In hiding since 2010
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

But, it's more fun to pick on you, Driew! :P So, what were you thinking of, anyway? We were just trying to analyze your thought process, dude.

To quote a very wise man, "Some people just can't take a joke, you know?"

So awesome!

Al Team #325
julieabr
Occasional

Post by julieabr »

weird_el @ Dec 29 2004, 08:39 AM wrote: And this would be the reason I think this is one of Al's worst songs. It just feeds into the "Al is for the immature" myth because in this song, he is.

Yes, but he was very young when he wrote that song, wasn't he?

Julie
Manda
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Manda »

I don't think he was very young. But I don't know when he wrote it. Honestly I think he knew what he was doing when he did write it.
Al team # 2836