Stop Draggin' My Car Around And Belvedere Cruising

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles
Off The Deep End

Post by TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles »

Maybe because he had the SAME CAR by '81, and had to fit a line? WHO KNOWS?
The Office: NBC, Thursdays at 9.
If you're not watching, you're doing yourself great injustice.
American Pie
Die-hard Fan

Post by American Pie »

I love Stop Draggin' My Car Around. One of the most underrated song on "Weird AL" Yankovic. Could've been a better single than Ricky. I know there's many versions of this song. Album version, demo version with album lyrics, demo with alternate lyrics, but what are Demo's B and C? As you can find here.Songography (Whixh is my favorite site in the world)
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon .
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

American Pie @ Jun 17 2004, 02:40 AM wrote: Album version, demo version with album lyrics, demo with alternate lyrics, but what are Demo's B and C? As you can find here.Songography (Whixh is my favorite site in the world)
What a coincidence, as this is just one of the little things that will be updated in Monday's upcoming new edition of the Songography.

According to the always helpful Jeff Morris (and confirmed by some drumming guy)...

The "A" version did not in fact air on DrD, yet somehow it managed to sneak into trading circles (it is known that it did not come from Jon). This is the usually the version found on fan bootlegs. It's noteworthy because not only does it feature alternate lyrics than the album version, but it also has a rather PG-13ish line during the fade-out.

The "B" version also features the alternate lyrics but a different lead vocal track (without the aforementioned fade-out line). This version did not air on the show either, but it is the one used on the "Basement Tapes" CD.

The "C" demo did actually air on DrD all those years ago, and it has the same lyrics as the album version.

Hope that clears it up a bit.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
American Pie
Die-hard Fan

Post by American Pie »

So Demo A Edit and Demo B are the same thing, right? Thanks a lot.
Yank27
Obsessed

Post by Yank27 »

Kindof, yes. Same music track was used, only a different vocal track was used for each demo.
2018 Tour: Rochester, Minneapolis, Fargo, Clear Lake, and Green Bay...so far...
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Just curious, what is the PG-13ish line during the fade out?

The only demo version I have is version C...
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yank27
Obsessed

Post by Yank27 »

My copy of the Demo A doesnt fade out, and my Demo B does. I know these arent mixed up, because my Demo B was found on a Dr. D broadcast. I cant hear a PG-13ish line on my copy. ???
2018 Tour: Rochester, Minneapolis, Fargo, Clear Lake, and Green Bay...so far...
drnick954
Off The Deep End

Post by drnick954 »

ive only listened to this song once, and i found it odd
The Smashing Pumpkins are reuniting! WHOOOOHOOO!!!
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

weirdojace @ Jun 17 2004, 12:31 PM wrote: Just curious, what is the PG-13ish line during the fade out?

"Eat me, go on, eat me!"
Yank27 @ Jun 17 2004, 12:45 PM wrote: My copy of the Demo A doesnt fade out, and my Demo B does. I know these arent mixed up, because my Demo B was found on a Dr. D broadcast. I cant hear a PG-13ish line on my copy. ???

Interesting. If it doesn't fade out, how does your A copy end? Is it an abrupt stop or does the music actual "finish?"

Do you know about when your B copy was on the show? According to Jeff only the C version aired, but of course obviously things had to get out somehow.

And, just speculating here, you're sure neither of your copies is a live recording, right?
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
American Pie
Die-hard Fan

Post by American Pie »

Demo B played on show #02-38.