Stop Draggin' My Car Around And Belvedere Cruising

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mad Genius
Obsessed

Stop Draggin' My Car Around And Belvedere Cruising

Post by Mad Genius »

I've been doing some observing while listening to Belvedere Cruising and Stop Draggin' my car around and I've noticed something:

on Belvedere Cruising, Al sings "...Going Belvedere cruising today. I can take you anywhere on my 1964 Belvedere! Going Belvedere cruising today!"

and on Stop Draggin' My Car Around Al sings "...Now I'm at home, I'm watching Gilligan's Island, guess it's time to trade my old car in. For twenty dollars and my '64 Plymouth, maybe I can get a second-hand Swhin."

I think he's inadvertently mentioning his parents' 1964 Plymouth Belvedere being towed away on Stop Draggin' My Car Around

Tell me what you think.
"...Enthusiasm mediocre; keep in mind the animals are DEAD!"
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Yeah, both songs reference the '64 Plymouth. I guess he got tired of "cruisin'" by 1983.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

I've ruminated on that one before myself. I have no doubt in my mind of the connection.

And if I were Al, I'd make that trade in. That's a sweet deal! :biggrin:
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Mad Genius
Obsessed

Post by Mad Genius »

You think? I thought it's more of a sequel to Belvedere Cruising. Maybe Al liked his 64' Belvedere, but hasn't had that much luck with it.
"...Enthusiasm mediocre; keep in mind the animals are DEAD!"
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

FYI, Al also mentioned his old car in the ultra-rare song, "Dead Car Battery Blues."
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Yeah, because in the one part of the song, the manager of the disco club takes Al in the back, and says "But man that car of yours is so uncool, like wow I'm sorry, but we towed it away". Maybe Al was making a reference to people making fun of the car.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Mad Genius @ Jan 11 2004, 05:23 PM wrote: I think he's inadvertently mentioning his parents' 1964 Plymouth Belvedere being towed away on Stop Draggin' My Car Around

Tell me what you think.
You're right about the connection, but I don't think the mention was inadvertent. Al knew very well what he was doing. BTW, apparently the Plymouth Belvedere went to college with him, since Joel Miller mentioned it in BTM.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Not to be not-picky, but it's "Goin' Belvedere cruisin' tonight".

But yeah, I do think he connected those two songs on purpose. I saw footage of Dr. Demento driving that '64 Plymouth once. It was a "weird-ass car", like Joel Miller said in Al's BTM! hehe!

Patti
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Miss Janine
Obsessed

Post by Miss Janine »

Kevbo1987 @ Jan 11 2004, 12:41 PM wrote: Yeah, because in the one part of the song, the manager of the disco club takes Al in the back, and says "But man that car of yours is so uncool, like wow I'm sorry, but we towed it away". Maybe Al was making a reference to people making fun of the car.
But it was towed again at the end of the song 'cuz Al was late with a payment. Still paying on it after all those years? How long had he had it?
Hmmm...something's gone horribly awry here...
Al Team 2772!
RIP Bela
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

It must have been a "weird ass" car. Since Al couldn't decide if it was green or black.