Worst Weird Al Song

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Probably would be C@GZ. I probably tolerate it in a way. I don't hate it, but I tolerate.

Not a big fan of Toothless People either, but in a way I liked that.
Diva
Addicted

Post by Diva »

Hmmm.....I guess "Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch" and "Grapefruit diet" would have to be up there. I do beg to differ with some others mentioned on this thread, though. C@GZ is a perfect takeoff on those Phil Spector overproduced Christmas songs of the early 1960s and for those of us of a certain age [such as Al and me] the references are hilarious. I mean, if you went through elementary school doing air raid drills, knowing the location of the nearest fallout shelter and learning how exactly to use your school desk for protection from the flash, you can truly appreciate how absurd [and Pollyanna-ish] the idea of survivability truly was. The song is a perfect match. I've really come to love "Velvet Elvis" too, as it's such a dead-on takeoff of the Police c. 1982-83. The chord progressions, melody lines and instrumentation are pure Sting-at-his-Stingiest.

Cheers, Diva

realizing that she gets far too many of the older references in Al's stuff, sheesh :roll:
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Wow! I like a lot of the songs you guys don't. I guess my least favorite would be When I was Your Age. Just kind of long. I do like other songs of Als that are longer, but that one seems to be too long.

Patti

*I like Grapefruit Diet! He says "patty" in there, and it makes me want to dance*
Scrivel
Occasional

Post by Scrivel »

The ones that always make me reach for the skip button are:

Toothless People

Lasagna

Phony Calls

(And for the record, I'm with Diva on C@GZ--I think that's a great song, and an excellent match of style and content.)
Alapeleke
Occasional

Post by Alapeleke »

I like Phoney calls *visual image* O-)

erm.. there's a difference between worst and least favorite...

my least favorite would have to be living with a Hernia @.@ I can't stand it..

Worst... Girls Just wanna have lunch.. cause Al didn't like it and you could tell
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

~gets Visual Image with Phony Calls~ I love that song for some reason. Maybe it's cause when I was in 5th grade...argh...Waterfalls was played so much that if you didn't know what it was in my class...Oy!

Phony Calls just brings me joy. :D

~keeps thinking of Al in waterform like the music video of Waterfalls~
justme27uhf

Post by justme27uhf »

Living with a Hernia would have to be my least fav, just because i'm not fond of that style. But it think the video is hilarious!!!

Like Patti, i really like Grapefruit Diet!!!

Patty :D
Cat_Barf
Occasional

Worst Weird Al Song

Post by Cat_Barf »

Well first of all, I'm sort of new to this forum. I have been on alt.music.weird-al looking and keeping my mouth shut. So anyway, the following is my list of "dreadful Al songs":

Addicted to Spuds(I can't stand the music of the original let alone a parody)

The White Stuff

Polka Party!

Toothless People

George of the Jungle

I Can't Watch This

The Plumbing Song

Young Dumb and Ugly

I'm so Sick of You

Waffle King

I just have mental block and tendancy to go completely nuts if I hear these songs. Nothing against Al. I like Christmas @ Ground Zero but it sort of was freaky after September 11 so I don't care for it any more but I still listen to it occasionally. Grapefruit Diet is one of my favs on RWS. Albequerque is one of the only of its kind I've ever heard of and i love it. I like most of the RWS songs. I haven't really listened to Weird Al recently. I'm just waiting for a new album to come out.
twineball

Worst Weird Al Song

Post by twineball »

Hmmm.....I guess "Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch" and "Grapefruit diet" would have to be up there.
IIRC, Al didn't even want to do "Girls". At least that's what he said in some interview I heard years ago. The record label pretty much made him do a Cyndi Lauper parody, because they were wanting to promote her. Art and commerce just don't mix. :-?
C@GZ is a perfect takeoff on those Phil Spector overproduced Christmas songs of the early 1960s
It did capture Spector's style perfectly, but I beg to differ with the "overproduced" part. He was easily one of the greatest and most influential producers of all time, with the "wall of sound" he created.
...and for those of us of a certain age [such as Al and me] the references are hilarious. I mean, if you went through elementary school doing air raid drills, knowing the location of the nearest fallout shelter and learning how exactly to use your school desk for protection from the flash, you can truly appreciate how absurd [and Pollyanna-ish] the idea of survivability truly was.

My mom grew up during that era, so I heard about all that. And to this day you'll find old "Fallout shelter" signs posted on buildings in some small towns. Yeah right, like hiding in the basement of some rickety old bank built in 1938 was going to keep you alive when the bombs started dropping! :roll:
Wild Gunman
Occasional

Post by Wild Gunman »

I didn't like Christmas at Ground Zero either. I found it pretty disturbing actually. But we all make mistakes!
WHAT CAN YOU DO?

DARE TO BE STUPID!!! @_@