Worst Weird Al Song

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Waffle King
Occasional

Re: Worst Weird Al Song

Post by Waffle King »

anthontherun wrote:
Waffle King wrote:Bad Hair Day- The Night Santa Went Crazy (Why Al? Just...Why?)
While I can't agree with most of your picks ("Good Old Days"??? On an album with "Twister," "Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White" and "Alimony"?), the "Why Al?" has got me curious and I need an explanation on this one. So...why Waffle King? Just...why?

Well,I guess it's not very funny to begin with,(although,I admit the opening joke about the "good gentile girls and good gentile boys" is worth a chuckle) but I have to ask "why?" considering Al has always had a very young segment of fans.Personally,I became a fan of Al when I was 5,when "Weird Al Yankovic" came out.Granted,I was a lot older when TNSWC came out,so I was hardly shocked.LOL But,if I'd heard that song as a 5 year old,I'd probably have been mortified! ;(

As for Good Old Days,eh...I'm not a big fan of the James Taylor/John Denver style "easy listening" music that was being spoofed.I recently began to appreciate Even Worse a lot more than I had.I listened to that album daily for close to a year when I was a kid,to the point that I got pretty burned out on it. :D
Back off me,man-back off.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

You have to remember though, that yeah, he has a young segment of fans, but it's ridiculous for him to always play to that group, especially since he's not a musician for children. Yeah, TNSWC is violent, but it's not much different to, say, Itchy and Scratchy or Rocko's Modern Life or things of that nature. It's cartoony, and it's using enough euphemism that it's not going to be instantly recognisable as "Santa Claus got drunk and goddamn killed everyone who ever loved him and possibly got killed himself by the cops".

It's similar to how WBUL is 6 minutes of "I want to stick my dick in your vagina and/or other orifices" or WSD is "We kill animals for no reason other than we've done it forever". Kids aren't going to fully understand it, and if they do, then they're mature enough to understand that it's a joke.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

Mystik Tomato wrote:It's similar to how WBUL is 6 minutes of "I want to stick my dick in your vagina and/or other orifices" or WSD is "We kill animals for no reason other than we've done it forever". Kids aren't going to fully understand it, and if they do, then they're mature enough to understand that it's a joke.
Best. Quote. Ever.
Waffle King
Occasional

Post by Waffle King »

I'm not saying Al should "write down" for kids.I don't think he's ever done that,nor should he.But,since a lot of fans are kids,(or begin as kids) I just find it odd to target Santa,since kids that are young enough to believe in Santa,by definition are too young to "get" the joke.It's not a big deal,just my opinion. :F
Back off me,man-back off.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

In that case, wouldn't Headline News be even worse since it's about three horrific things that happened to actual real people? Presumably someone young enough to believe in Santa Claus is also young enough to believe evil does not exist in the world.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

The Night Santa Went Crazy. Such a beautiful song. So perfect in every way imaginable!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

Agreed. I'm still sticking to my guns with Check's In The Mail, and Buy Me A Condo being the all time worst. Can't stand those songs, and they are not funny at all. Everything else is, well, pretty cool ;)
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I can only say Waffle King and Talk Soup are the least enjoyable to me, typically when listening to Alapalooza, I tend to skip them.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

Why Talk Soup?? that song is hilarious!! Plus I believe its the first song where Al's humor starts edging on the adult humor side. I agree with you on Waffle King though. Generic food song, not funny (except when he says "You can kiss my royal butt" right at the end when the song start fading out.

I might as well, give my least favorite from each album then.... here goes..

"Weird Al" Yankovic: The Check's In The Mail

In 3-D: Buy Me A Condo

Dare To Be Stupid: Cable TV

Polka Party: Here's Johnny

Even Worse: Velvet Elvis

UHF: Spam

Off The Deep End: N/A (this whole album kicks ass)

Alapalooza: Waffle King

Bad Hair Day: Syndicated Inc.

Running With Scissors: N/A (this one kicks ass too)

Poodle Hat: Genius In France

Straight Outta Lynwood: N/A (this one is a masterpiece)

Alpocalypse: Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me (I always skip this one.)
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
WayintoWAY

Post by WayintoWAY »

Twister. Anything Beastie Boys is unlistenable. Oh man, ear litter. There are a few other that I'm not huge fans of. Off the top of my head I can't think of any though. Actually, Polka Party for the most part I don't especially enjoy.
"If nobody comes down here and buys a car in the next hour, I'm gonna' club this baby seal"