Worst Weird Al Song

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

WayintoWAY

Re: Worst Weird Al Song

Post by WayintoWAY »

TMBJon wrote:
weird_el wrote:I hate it because it's one joke and not an especially funny one. I also think it fails in its Queen homage.
What's the one joke? You could say the same thing about any Weird Al song: You Don't Love Me Anymore is just one joke about how the wife doesn't love him anymore.
Ringtone has one premise, but many jokes (or humorous anecdotes) about that premise.

Regarding whether it fails as a Queen homage I happen to think it sounds a lot like Queen, but even if you concede this point I would counter with Skipper Dan which is a total utter failure as a Weezer style parody but a great song in its own right.

So THAT'S why Weezer is thanked in the notes? I couldn't figure it out. Yeah, as a big Weezer fan and a lover of Skipper Dan, I have to say I never saw a similarity in the least.
"If nobody comes down here and buys a car in the next hour, I'm gonna' club this baby seal"
Diva
Addicted

Post by Diva »

I continue to maintain that Grapefruit Diet is a - if not the- major stinker in Al's body of work. The first time I heard Virus Alert I really liked it but it didn't survive subsequent plays. I can't abide Ringtone.

There is usually only one skip-over song per album. That's a very good track record.

Cheers, Diva
Staving off a headache right now, but not because of this topic
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

I am not a huge fan of Waffle King. Clever idea, but somewhat bland. No Hate!
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
JohnnyLurg
Regular
Awards: Discoverer of the elusive "Orgy On My Own"

Post by JohnnyLurg »

I'm So Sick of You, Slime Creatures from Outer Space, Germs, and Such a Groovy Guy.
not to mention the toilets at Madonna Inn
Eyeball Chair
Addicted

Post by Eyeball Chair »

That Boy Could Dance never appealed to me, though I never really listened to it much. Syndicated Inc has a catchy chorus but I don't enjoy the song much besides that. I also couldn't get into songs like Waffle King, although it's a good idea.

Hit Me With A Rock is poorly done, but to be honest, that's why I love it so much! The cheesiness of it adds a certain charm.
JohnnyLurg
Regular

Post by JohnnyLurg »

Eyeball Chair wrote:Hit Me With A Rock is poorly done, but to be honest, that's why I love it so much! The cheesiness of it adds a certain charm.
That's exactly how I feel about "Don't You Forget About Meat," "Crampton Comes Alive" (although I would have preferred it if he had added "do you, YOU, eat like I do?"), "Feel Like Throwin' Up," "Gravy On You," "Fatter," and the actually released "I Want a New Duck" and "Girls Just Want to Have Lunch."
Eyeball Chair
Addicted

Post by Eyeball Chair »

JohnnyLurg wrote:
Eyeball Chair wrote:Hit Me With A Rock is poorly done, but to be honest, that's why I love it so much! The cheesiness of it adds a certain charm.
That's exactly how I feel about "Don't You Forget About Meat," "Crampton Comes Alive" (although I would have preferred it if he had added "do you, YOU, eat like I do?"), "Feel Like Throwin' Up," "Gravy On You," "Fatter," and the actually released "I Want a New Duck" and "Girls Just Want to Have Lunch."

The latter two remind me of those deadpan readings Al did in a voice message sent to Bermuda in '84. Look on youtube if you don't know what I'm talking about.
JohnnyLurg
Regular

Post by JohnnyLurg »

I know what you're talking about. I listened to this a couple years ago when he uploaded it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scGtAjNYbBc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I Want a New Dog"
Eyeball Chair
Addicted

Post by Eyeball Chair »

JohnnyLurg wrote:I know what you're talking about. I listened to this a couple years ago when he uploaded it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scGtAjNYbBc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I Want a New Dog"
Yeah. And it was '85, I was incorrect with my dates.

I also forgot how funny that audio was.

"LET'S....EAT!"
sethmartin
Regular

Post by sethmartin »

The absolute worst Weird Al song by far is "Gotta Boogie". All of the others are acceptable.