Marriage

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Clyde the Viking
Occasional
Location: Oh, you know where I am. Mwa- ha- ha- ha- ha- cough- sputter- gag- choke!

Marriage

Post by Clyde the Viking »

This seems really obvious but it seems like it should be put down on... whatever the Internet is...

It seems that songs on Poodle Hat seem more closely related to being married than say, Running With Scissors.

Let us compare...

Running With Scissors

The Saga Begins- the line "He's probably gonna marry her someday"

My Baby's in Love With Eddie Vedder- the person in this song has to deal with his "baby" (not sure if that means they're married or not) loving a celebrity

Pretty Fly For a Rabbi- not sure if rabbis can marry or not but the rabbi in the song sounds too busy to have a wife too

The Weird Al Show Theme- didn't keep in touch with the dental hygenist

Jerry Springer- I don't reall have to explain this do I?

Germs- no mention of marriage, but who wants to marry a hypochondriac?

Your Horoscope for Today- there's a "void in your pathetic life", divorce perhaps? Also, "your fiance hurls a javelin through your chest" seems to denote marital discord. "You will never find true happiness" also seems like a marriage issue.

It's All About the Pentiums- no direct mention of marriage, but who wants to marry a computer geek? Example: Me.

Truck Drivin' Song- Oh boy, do I have to go into this one?

Grapefruit Diet- no direct marriage mention, but he guy is fat, who wants to marry a fat guy? Example: Me.

Albuquerque- the guy gets married, has kids and gets divorced.

Now let us compare...

Poodle Hat

Couch Potato- mention of Wilma and Betty, both wives. Of course, in a whole, who wants to marry a TV junkie?

Hardware Store- almost nothing to get a marriage message out of this except the man seems like a handyman, so it would be more inclined to be married. He also seems to like tools a little too much.

Trash Day- the guy is either married or is living with his girlfriend, but she's not too happy about his slopiness.

Party at the Leper Colony- the leper seems to be hitting on the leper girl.

Wanna B Ur Lovr- also a guy hitting on a girl or multiple girls. Pretty racy too.

A Complicated Song- he WAS going to ask his girlfriend to marry him, or course, they're related.

Why Does This Always Happen To Me?- no marriage relation except the guy is so self-centered who would want to marry him?

Ode To A Superhero- Although it's just about the movie, he ends the last verse on a positive note.

Bob- the lines "Pa's a sap, Ma is as selfless as I am, May a moody baby doom a yam?" seem to be grouped as a family unit. Of course, there's also the lines "Won't lovers revolt now?" and mention of several female names. Plus "We panic in a pew" sounds like pre-wedding jitters.

eBay- not any direct marriage references, but this guy has alot of time and money, not really a marriage position. Plus, what wife would want their husband to have a Farrah Fawcett poster?

Genius in France- no direct reference, but this guy seems like he could marry any French woman he wants.

It doesn't seem like there's alot more GOOD marriages in this album, but there's alot less BAD ones. I'm assume an effect of Weird Al's blissful marriage of marital blissfulness.

Well, that's it! Hope you didn't beat you head in in boredom. It just seemed interesting.

*Runs off leaving topic open to discussion*
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

this "comparison" is as contrived as contrived gets.

not to mention that when you look at what you wrote, there are pretty much equal mentions of marriage on both albums.

-jon