I Remember Larry

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Smells Like a Username
Occasional

I Remember Larry

Post by Smells Like a Username »

I really don't understand this song. It seems to me like it's only purpose it to conceal the "hidden" backwards message. It's really not that funny, it ends up the way many other funnier Al songs do, and it doesn't really make me want to get up and dance (Not that I would anyway :lookround: Ahem) I don't mean to be beating up on the song it's just that I never understood why it's there, or why I never really see it talked about.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Well, it's an original... does there have to be a reason? It's got lots of death and general mayhem, that's not reason enough?

<Scottidog wonders if she knew there was backward masking on IRL before we recently spoke about it?>
Smells Like a Username
Occasional

Post by Smells Like a Username »

Well, I understand that it has got that whole death and so on theme to it, but it just seems so low compared to the rest of Bad Hair Day.

Oh, and the backwards message, well, I'd rather not spoil it......
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

It does seem like an anomoly. It's not that funny, it's really just about revenge. I like Al's vocal -- seems kind of sweet -- it contrasts with the content of the lyric.

Upon first hearing it, it made me a bit uncomfortable because I knew people like Larry -- I just haven't gotten around to killing them yet :lookround: With any luck someone else has, or maybe they're just in prison now.

El
Lauren27
Addicted

Post by Lauren27 »

Imagine my surprise to find this new thread... right after I just listened to (& sang along with) this song! :D :dontgetit:

It sounds very "tongue in cheek" with revenge in mind.

Yeah...

:listen: :listen: :listen:
Captain Wacky
Occasional

Post by Captain Wacky »

It's called SATIRE. Funny, funny stuff! I love that song!

p.s. Cousin Larry got OLD!
M3m3s3
Off The Deep End

Post by M3m3s3 »

Oh, and the backwards message, well, I'd rather not spoil it......

Oh PLEASE spoil it for me!!! I didn't know about the backwards message. If you don't want to post it, PM me.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

M3, in this thread

If you DO wanna listen to it, a LOW quality WAV is availible here:
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/KagayakiW ... acklow.wav
I don't know if I get in trouble for that, it's not a full song, but if it's not suppose to be posted, let me know.

I don't know if the link still works, but it's kinda cool if you can get to it.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I like Al's vocal -- seems kind of sweet -- it contrasts with the content of the lyric.

Upon first hearing it, it made me a bit uncomfortable because I knew people like Larry -- I just haven't gotten around to killing them yet

Does the music & vocal of this song remind anyone else a little of the Monkees?

This song kind of makes a companion piece to "I Was Only Kidding"-- they both go on pretending that it's all good fun as it becomes clear that it's not ("Baby, won't you put down that gun?"). The victim of Larry's practical jokes keeps on saying how hilarious this all is, what a good joke, hey what a funny guy. . . and if that stuff is humorous, then of course by that standard the murder that follows must be just that much funnier. This is one of those gruesome songs that's coming out of a heart of compassion (and probably written by someone who was on the wrong end of a few practical jokes himself when he was young).
Lauren27
Addicted

Post by Lauren27 »

Does the music & vocal of this song remind anyone else a little of the Monkees?
Now that you mention it, yes... yes, the music & vocals do sound a bit Monkees.

p.s. Cousin Larry got OLD!

:P :P :P