definitive list of style parodies

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

Dr_Dad @ Dec 14 2003, 09:45 AM wrote: Is it just me, or does the opening of "Callin' In Sick" remind anyone else of the opening to Nirvana's "Come As You Are"? :huh:

Doc
Callin In Sick in general reminds me of Come As You Are. It's definitely not just you.
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XThe_HazMatX
Occasional

Post by XThe_HazMatX »

Yeah, now that i think about it, you guys are right! That's really weird!

Duh! Hackader! :P
pgm

Post by pgm »

Dr_Dad @ Dec 14 2003, 09:45 AM wrote: Is it just me, or does the opening of "Callin' In Sick" remind anyone else of the opening to Nirvana's "Come As You Are"?  :huh:

Doc
It's been a while since I heard this album, but I decided to play it again today. When I hit this song, it drove me crazy trying to figure out what it's from. The beginnning sounds like Nirvana, then it has a part like REM, and then the chorus is a much harder sound (Like Scorpians-Rock You Like a Hurricane). And then there is a part that sounds like Lithium. It's driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. A lot of it sounds like Nirvana. Anyone know for sure?

Edit: I found this forum by googling for this, that's why this thread is so old.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

pgm @ Aug 24 2005, 09:03 PM wrote: Edit: I found this forum by googling for this, that's why this thread is so old.
That's cool. Just out of curiousity, what phrase did you google for?

(Please don't say "butterscotch enema." :please:)

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
pgm

Post by pgm »

No, it was some random words. I think it was Callin' In Sick, Style, Weird Al. Great list, by the way. I didn't even notice a lot of them.
badgerate22beans
Occasional

Post by badgerate22beans »

One More Minute - It's in a certain genre, but the genre is hard to describe / name. Is it supposed to be a certain artist?

doo wap

atrist (i forgot)

song, since i don't have you

i listen to the gun n roses verson, ive heard part of the origional on tv
November Rain-Guns N' Roses
The Best Music Video Ever
badgerate22beans
Occasional

Post by badgerate22beans »

Genius in Maine @ Dec 14 2003, 06:44 PM wrote: Callin In Sick in general reminds me of Come As You Are. It's definitely not just you.
if you go to bramuna's website (not weirdal.com, but his official one,) he has some Weird Al songs w/ out lyrics. One of the songs is Calling in Sick, but he names it Nirvana style
November Rain-Guns N' Roses
The Best Music Video Ever
Elvis
Be jealous.

Post by Elvis »

Bramuna??? :blink:

:lol:

Dave
WeirdAbbott
Off The Deep End

Post by WeirdAbbott »

anyway, me and my mom were watching the One More Minute video, and she said that it was not Elvis, she said it was more of a regular 50's song, doo wop style. :F
amiright.com/parody/authors/abbottskelding.shtml
youtube.com/WeirdAbbott
facebook.com/TheAbbottSkelding
soundclick.com/TheAbbottSkelding
facebook.com/AbbottSkeldingDesign
Elvis
Be jealous.

Post by Elvis »

Elvis @ Jun 8 2003, 05:04 PM wrote:
The only problem with calling this a "definitive" list is that many songs are open to debate.

You're absolutely right.

The only way to make a definitive list of style parodies is to list songs that have been confirmed as such by Al himself. And only those songs should be on the list.

Furthermore, the list should cite Al. That involves going through old print, online, radio, and tv interviews. Whoever it was that cited the old Ask Als was on the right course.

To make it fun, there could be a section on the list called "probable style parodies" where all this speculation could go. But until Al confirms it, it should stay off the definitive list.

Dave
Fine! I'll do it. :rolleyes:

New Style Parody List. :)

Dave