definitive list of style parodies

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, they should, especially if it answers the burning question about WBUL. Just thought I'd point that out. I remember that statement, so it mattered to me.

Patti
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Generic Blues sounds a lot like Eric Clapton to me...
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, Clapton does play a lot of blues, but that song strikes me as your basic, or "generic", if you will, blues song, with a standard blues riff. Any blues artist is gonna sound like that. Al said that B.B. King told him that Generic Blues was one of his favorite blues songs. That's pretty high praise! :) I love that song!

Patti
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Well, I just said that because at the beginning of one of Clapton's songs, he said "I woke up this morning, and I fell out of bed."

Then again I've heard many blues songs say that...
Staindfan

Post by Staindfan »

I would have to say "Nature Trail to Hell in 3D" is an Ozzy Osbourne style parody or soemthin' similiar.
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Re: style

Post by Dr_Dad »

Hmm, I actually have no clue what zydeco is. But I noticed on Ask Al, he mentioned that a zydeco song would probably show up on RWS, so maybe "Eddie Vedder" is it.
Where's Dr. Dad from N'awlins when we need him? :yell: But yup, "Eddie Vedder" is zydeco. I think I even saw it referred to that way in some of Volcano's press stuff for RWS. It's Cajun party music. (Queen Ida and the Bon Temps Zydeco Band would be one example of an artist in this genre).

Present and accounted for.

Zydeco is classic N'Awlins or south Louisiana [think Lafayette] music, with heapin' helpins of accordion, washboard, and fiddle. One song a lot of people up north may have heard of in this style is Doug Kershaw's classic "Jambalaya". You know the one -- "Jambalaya, crawfish pie, file gumbo / ... / Sonuvagun, we gonna have big fun on the bye-o."

MBILWEV is not a specific Cajun group that I'm aware of. It's really a genre parody. But it will always hold a special place in my heart for that reason. It's not my favorite off RWS, but because of the Loozianna connection, when I hear it, it never ceases to make me smile ... :D

Dr. Laissez-les-bon-temps-roullez!! Dad

:yell: AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIII-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!

[Disclaimer: That was a Cajun war whoop -- I didn't just get my hand smashed in a mousetrap or something ...]
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Post by Dr_Dad »

OMM I thought was an Elvis style parody. But Dave says it's Nick Rivers does Elvis. Which I can see. So I think Dave's right and I'm wrong. Did I really say that? :lookround: But I must defer to the Big Boys in matters concerning Al's music.
When did I say that? I must have been really drunk or really tired. ;) I don't even know who Nick Rivers is??? :dontgetit:

Dave

Hey, uhh, Dave ... watch those blueberry daquiris, huh? If you're not careful, they'll really catch up with ya... ;)

Dr. Dad
Katoot
Occasional

Post by Katoot »

I would have to say "Nature Trail to Hell in 3D" is an Ozzy Osbourne style parody or soemthin' similiar.

I kinda agree with that, except for one thing. In the chorus of NTTH, there's a bunch of female singers singing "in 3-D." I don't know of any Ozzy songs with female singers.

I do, however, like the comment on the similarities between NTTH and Thriller, what with the talking in the middle of it (ok, NTTH has screaming, but there's a little bit of a monster or mad scientist talking).
TronixBot

Post by TronixBot »

"Eat It" sounds kinda like Michael Jackson, but I dunno, I could be wrong....

:P

But seriously, The Check's In The Mail is some sort of genre (or "gender" as Eminem puts it :)) parody
mewrio
Off The Deep End

Post by mewrio »

I kinda agree with that, except for one thing. In the chorus of NTTH, there's a bunch of female singers singing "in 3-D." I don't know of any Ozzy songs with female singers.

I do, however, like the comment on the similarities between NTTH and Thriller, what with the talking in the middle of it (ok, NTTH has screaming, but there's a little bit of a monster or mad scientist talking).
But there's the teensy little problem that Ozzy wasn't around in the days of In-3D, was he?