definitive list of style parodies

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

And if there are any Bealtes fans here, doesn't the opening guitar riff in Hardware sound like the opening to "Hey Bulldog"?
That's the first thing I thought of when I first heard the guitar riff.

Good, I feared I had gone insane. Oh, wait, to late.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

It kinda sounds like "Hey, Bulldog", but the note patterns are different. Somone else had noticed that it sounds more like the music you hear at sporting events, that builds up, and then people will say "Let's go *whoever*". I kinda liked that comparison. She put it like "Go, Al go!" hehe! Thanks, Brenda.

Patti
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

Although it is a coincidece, the chord progression in Hardware store is sort of similar to that of Can't Stop by the Red HotChilli Pepers.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Coincidence? Hmmm... But with chord progressions it just might be. I am no musician, but from my music theory class and lots of years in choirs, aren't chord progressions pretty much standard?

But with Al, who knows if it's coincidence, or if it's borrowed.
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

I jus thtink it's a coincidence because Hardware Store was written before the Red Hot Chilli Peper's album By the Way was even released..
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

The only problem with calling this a "definitive" list is that many songs are open to debate.

You're absolutely right.

The only way to make a definitive list of style parodies is to list songs that have been confirmed as such by Al himself. And only those songs should be on the list.

Furthermore, the list should cite Al. That involves going through old print, online, radio, and tv interviews. Whoever it was that cited the old Ask Als was on the right course.

To make it fun, there could be a section on the list called "probable style parodies" where all this speculation could go. But until Al confirms it, it should stay off the definitive list.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

QUOTE The only way to make a definitive list of style parodies is to list songs that have been confirmed as such by Al himself.  And only those songs should be on the list.

Uh oh...I smell a flood once Ask Al reopens.

If this didn't seem so ungodly time-consuming, it would be cool for Al to sit down and go over each original and at least briefly explain which artist was on his mind when he was writing it....at least so that there's some official answer in addition to the debating and speculation.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

If this didn't seem so ungodly time-consuming, it would be cool for Al to sit down and go over each original and at least briefly explain which artist was on his mind when he was writing it....at least so that there's some official answer in addition to the debating and speculation.

There would still be speculation and debate. As we've seen re: WBUL.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

IIRC, Dave said that Al said that WBUL is supposed to sound like Beck doing Prince.

Patti
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

QUOTE IIRC, Dave said that Al said that WBUL is supposed to sound like Beck doing Prince.  

Patti

Look into some other posts on this board and you'll see that Al's comments haven't mattered much to people :)
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?