definitive list of style parodies

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

When did I say that? I must have been really drunk or really tired. ;) I don't even know who Nick Rivers is??? :dontgetit:

Dave
Perhaps I misquoted you. I'll see if I can find the thread. In the meantime, Nick Rivers is from Top Secret.

Oops! Dave you are right. I mis-attributed it to you. It was actually one of the other Big Boys:
Connection to Weird Al? Hmmm.... OMM is an Elvis style parody, isn't it?
Well, I guess it could kinda sorta be considered one, but I like to think it's moreso a style parody of just the crooner love ballad genre in general (of course, that's not to say that there isn't a slight Elvis flavor to OMM at times).

It seems to be closer to the style of Nick Rivers in "Top Secret!" than the true blue Elvis. :)

You can find the thread here.

Carry on, then.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I would say that Waffle King is a Peter Gabriel style parody. Especially since the sounds at the beginning of that song are the same sounds at the beginning of Sledgehammer. I never even thought about Talk Soup being a Peter Gabriel style parody. Hmmmm. Anyone else wanna tackle this?

Patti
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Re: definitive list of style parodies

Post by Teh Dingo »

Traffic Jam - artist - Prince (This is the only one on this list that I just cannot hear. I'll admit I'm not THAT familiar with Prince, but TJ sounds very little like what I've heard of Prince so far. But everyone says it's Prince, so I included it)

Get a hold of Prince's "Let's Go Crazy". That should clear things up.

Yes, I'm listening to Alapalooza right now, trying to get things. "Talk Soup" is on right now. Hmmm...both TS and Waffle King have the Gabriel standard female back up parts.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
weirdallie27
Off The Deep End

Re: definitive list of style parodies

Post by weirdallie27 »

One More Minute - It's in a certain genre, but the genre is hard to describe / name. Is it supposed to be a certain artist?

I'd just call it doo-wop.

~Allison
marko d
Occasional

Post by marko d »

Party at the Leper Colony is more than likely a style parody of Bo Diddley's Willie and the Hand Jive.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: style

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Hmm, I actually have no clue what zydeco is. But I noticed on Ask Al, he mentioned that a zydeco song would probably show up on RWS, so maybe "Eddie Vedder" is it.

Where's Dr. Dad from N'awlins when we need him? :yell: But yup, "Eddie Vedder" is zydeco. I think I even saw it referred to that way in some of Volcano's press stuff for RWS. It's Cajun party music. (Queen Ida and the Bon Temps Zydeco Band would be one example of an artist in this genre).

I'm not sure, though, that songs like "Eddie Vedder" and "Generic Blues" really even qualify as style parodies, when the song is in the style of a whole traditional musical genre. I'd say it's just Al writing a funny zydeco song, or a funny blues song. I almost wish Al didn't try so hard not to repeat himself musically; I wouldn't mind getting another accordion-heavy zydeco tune or two.
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

I kinda thought Albuqeurque was a kinda a style parody of Liam Lytch.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Re: style

Post by scottidog »

I almost wish Al didn't try so hard not to repeat himself musically; I wouldn't mind getting another accordion-heavy zydeco tune or two.

Or an accordion heavy anything. I miss Al playing the accordion. There should have been more Poodle accordion. That's really my only complaint about PH. But the accordion that is on it is wonderful.
BathTub
Occasional

Post by BathTub »

Albuqeurque is essentially a parody of Dicks Automotive by the rugburns.

And I doubt anyone who has heard both Black Gold and The Night Santa Went Crazy could argue that they are not extremely similar.

They musically they start off the same, only TNSWC is longer before hitting the lound guitars, (just the same stuff repeated).

They follow the same style and structure and all the way through.

You can almost chop and change the choruses over.

and they are almost exactly the same length (heh lame I know ;) ).

heh come to think about it , all that applys to Alburqeurque too.
Weird Alan
Regular

Post by Weird Alan »

Isn't it possible...that maybe...just maybe Al can write an original song that just happens to sort of sound like a song written in the past 50 years without any intention of it being a type of parody?