definitive list of style parodies

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

XThe_HazMatX
Occasional

Post by XThe_HazMatX »

spacedingo @ Jun 7 2003, 04:22 AM wrote: I'd say Hardware Store is Linkin Park on 45. :D
:blink: . . . Right . . .
Al's song Trigger Happy is a style parody of Beach Boys music. It's a hilarious song too! :biggrin:
XThe_HazMatX
Occasional

Post by XThe_HazMatX »

Dare To Be Stupid was Al's own "Style" if you will call it that, but he did say that he took familiar tunes and threw 'em into teh mix. Another was I Was Only Kidding. That could be a style parody though. Hope that helps! :bigups:
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

DTBS is definitely Devo. Even Al said so.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XThe_HazMatX
Occasional

Post by XThe_HazMatX »

Huh, I didn't know that. What song is it making fun of?
Dare To Be Stupid is my anthem for life! :lol:
It's also 3/4 of the inspiration of my band. We just love that guy! :wub:

. . . But i'm not gay! :wacko:
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I don't think it's making fun of a particular Devo song. Of course, I only know two of them, and it doesn't sound like either of them ("Satisfaction" and "Whip It").
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Actually I don't know of any Al songs that "make fun of" other songs, other than Achy Breaky Song, Smells Like Nirvana, or It's Still Billy Joel To Me. A parody or style parody isn't neccessarily "making fun of" the original inspiration for the parody.
XThe_HazMatX
Occasional

Post by XThe_HazMatX »

True, but he does relentlessly make fun of the Love song Genre. Over and over and over again!
The Truck Drivin' Song is making fun of Country dead on. I guess he doesn't really make fun of rap when he parody's those type of songs. I Think "Smells Like Nirvana" isn't really making fun of Nirvana he was making fun of the way Kurt Cobain sang. He gave a little history of them in the song! :lol:
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

It's not making fun of Nirvana, and if it was, I honestly don't think Al would perform it after Kurt's suicide.
XThe_HazMatX
Occasional

Post by XThe_HazMatX »

I think your right, dude. But so many people think he is making fun of them. He says a Special Thanks to Nirvana on that album, so i doubt it's really making fun of them. :rockedover:
Captain Pedantic
Occasional

Post by Captain Pedantic »

algonacchick @ Nov 3 2003, 04:57 PM wrote: Captain Pedantic made a good point about Waffle King. It most definitely is not a style parody of Art of Noise. I love Close(to the Edit), but I do not hear it in that song at all. I already stated it's a Peter Gabriel style parody. Even hubby, who dislikes Al, said it sounded like Sledgehammer. Hehe, interesting factoid: a king can also be called a potentate. But I'm glad Al picked the word king instead. Waffle Potentate just doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

Patti
I was listening to Waffle King in the weekend and it reminds me a lot of Wang Chung. They were a one hit wonder band in the late 80's with their song Wang Chung.

Everybody have fun tonight - everybody wang chung tonight.