definitive list of style parodies

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Beepela
Occasional

Post by Beepela »

I'll tell her she was right then. For some reason it didn't remind me of Cake, despite the horns, rhythm, and harmonies that are clearly similar. Now that I have listened to it 27 more times today, I think I agree though.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Close is definitely in the vein of a Cake song. All the more reason to like it though. Cake's awesome.
That's what you get when you let your heart win.
KaraokeTJ

Re: definitive list of style parodies

Post by KaraokeTJ »

"I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead" I thought for sure this was a Green Day style parody... except that it came out in 1981! - years before Green Day. Did Al have a premonition?? It sure sounds like Green Day! He was probably going for the punk genre of the day, possibly The Ramones.

"One More Minute" is Elvis. This is evident when he performs it live. He dresses like him & hands out scarves.

"Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota" is spot on Harry Chapin. It most closely resembles Chapin's song "30,000 Pounds Of Bananas"

"Ringtone" - obvious style parody of Queen

"Cable TV" - Billy Joel

"Airline Amy" - Elton John

"She Never Told Me She Was A Mime" - I want to say this was Aerosmith

"Party At The Leper Colony" - according to Wikipedia, it's John Cafferty (??), but it's more of a mix of "Willie & The Hand Jive" (Johnny Otis) & "Keepin' The Faith" (Billy Joel)

:ttr: