What are your kids' favourite songs?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

TANKgirl
Occasional

What are your kids' favourite songs?

Post by TANKgirl »

Ok, so many of us here are grownups, I presume a certain number of us also have kids, and that a portion of those kids are also insane Al freaks like their parents.

So what do YOUR kids like?

My son just turned 5. We've been listening to Al together since before he was 2, when we would watch videos on Launchcast until he went down for his nap. For a period of a few months he would NOT settle down for nap unless cuddled on my lap, watching Weird Al. His favourite at the time, Eat It.

Then RWS came out... and a bit later we got the TWS DVD... his AL-world opened up even more. He started singing along with The Saga Begins -- reciting a frightening amount on his own from memory!

But his all-time favourite... especially after I was actually given an accordion last year and taught myself a couple recognizable licks, is without a doubt *Yoda*. He has me sing it to him nearly every night at bedtime. And whenever I get the accordion out, he wants to hear it.

He's been on a trip with his Dad for a bit over a week now, and has not yet heard Poodle Hat! He gets back on Wednesday, and we'll have a lot of listening to do. AND we have tickets to see Al live June 29.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

My son Marshall is quite enamored of the parodies on "Poodle Hat", especially "Couch Potato" and "Trash Day". He also likes to sing lines from "Genius in France". Gotta love that! The Zappaness! hehe! *Marshall is 13, btw*

Patti
Captain Wacky
Occasional

Post by Captain Wacky »

When my son was three he was on a Star Wars kick and LOVED the Saga Begins. He played it over and over and over until my husband and I just couldn't stand it anymore!! Then he got into the videos. His favorite is Fat. There is nothing funnier than hearing a preschooler quoting the first part! You ain't fat! You ain't nothin!
BillyW3
Occasional

Post by BillyW3 »

Well, I don't have kids, but when I was a kid, and my dad bought the self-titled and "In 3-D" cassettes when "Eat It" was a hit, my favorite song was "Happy Birthday" It's still one of my faves.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

My niece (7) and my nephew (4) love "The White Stuff"

Sadly when I told them who it is though, they said "Weird who?"
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Um...I'm a kid (13)...and I like Hardware Store, This is the Life, Headline News, Wanna B Ur Lovr, *goes on and on*

Um...yeah. *runs out of the adult-filled thread*
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Um...I'm a kid (13)...and I like Hardware Store, This is the Life, Headline News, Wanna B Ur Lovr,

A-hem! Tell me you mispelled your age, it must be 31! What are your parents saying about that?!?!

:P

SEVA.
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Well, I have a brother who is 13, and he's quite an Al fan too. After school, he usually goes skating, but before that, he asks me to play "Polka Power!" or "Germs", "The Saga Begins" is his favourite. Says much, huh?

SEVA.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Um...I'm a kid (13)...and I like Hardware Store, This is the Life, Headline News, Wanna B Ur Lovr,
A-hem! Tell me you mispelled your age, it must be 31! What are your parents saying about that?!?!
:P

SEVA.

Nothin'! :P

Bwahahahahahaahharg! *cough* Bwaaaah!

And no, I didn't misspell it.
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Post by Dr_Dad »

Well, guess the Dad should put in his 27 cents into this topic.

My 12 year old son Chris is the big Al fan in the house. He loves RWS and PH, but enjoys a lot of the old stuff too. I've got all of Al's CDs in my car, and whenever I drive him around somewhere, I'll say, "Pick an album." Off PH, his favs are "Couch Potato", "Hardware Store", and "A Complicated Song".

[PSST!! ;) He don't know it yet, but I just got our tickets in the mail for the Gulfport concert on August 8th ... I'm gonna surprise the heck out of him; he's gonna freak!]

My eldest daughter Carolyn is 16. She ... um ... tends to roll her eyes heavenward when Al is mentioned, so for a long while, we gave each other space about it. But recently, she found out her boyfriend was going out of the country over the summer to study [for a month!]. So this weekend, I was driving her several miles to pick him up so she could see him for almost the last time before his trip, and she was VERRRRY depressed. So on the way there, I said, "Hey, just give this a chance -- it might cheer you up." And I put on "Angry White Boy Polka", because I knew she knew most of the bands and songs in it, so I figured it was my best shot. :bigups: SCORE!! :bigups: She started smiling, and eventually even laughing, especially at "Ooo-WAH-AH-AH-AH!" and "My way [*BEEP BEEP*] or the highway".

We talked some more after that, and she admitted enjoying when I used to play GH1 in the car driving them to school when the were little. She recalled thinking how funny she thought "Ricky" was. Then she said, "But I don't know ... I guess I thought his later stuff was, y'know, kinda immature." [And in my head, I thought, "But isn't that the POINT?!?" *AHEM*] So, I said, "Immature? Maybe. But not all of it. Some of his stuff is rather complicated and interesting. You know Eminem's "Lose Yourself", right?" "Sure," she replied. "Well, then, listen to this --", and I played "Couch Potato". Oh yeah, she was impressed. We even listened to most of the entire album together in the car, even *after* her boyfriend came in the car. "Dude, you've GOT to hear this polka!", she tells him. :D An AL convert? Probably not. But she at least admitted to liking Al once before and liking some of his new stuff. One who used to say "Ick ... Al" now at least says "Ah, yeah ... Al" -- seeds were planted. And Doc smiles at the new connection made.... :)

Now, my youngest 2 girls Katherine and Colleen are 8 and 7 respectively. They love watching the Al videos! Their favs are "Dare To Be Stupid" and "Jurassic Park" [only because they like when Barney's head gets eaten -- they HATE Barney now ... and that wasn't always the case; trust me ...] They too will listen to random songs from albums; they seem to like "Pretty Fly For A Rabbi" apparently because they think the refrain goes, "How ya doin', Barney?" [hoping and praying for another dinosaur decapitation, eh, my sick lil' chilluns???? :lookround: ] They haven't really picked a favorite off Poodle Hat yet, though I think they like "eBay" because they recognize the BSB tune.

Well, there you have it. Input from Doc and the kids. Thanks so much for staying awake ... Now, go find something better to do ... ;) [j/k]

Dr. Dad / Jim