(Over)analyze This

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I heard "Dick's Automotive" yesterday. It did remind me very much of Albuquerque, which leads me to believe that Al is a fan of theirs, and that Albuquerque is a style parody. I haven't heard the other song, but, maybe he just really likes these guys, and wanted to put two style parodies of the same band on one cd. Does this other song sound similar to MBILWEV?
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Akrovak @ Dec 16 2004, 12:03 AM wrote: I think I'm more stuck on the lack of transition than anything else
See, that's one of the things I love about OMM. It starts out like a perfectly normal song, then without warning it gets warped. It happens right about the malt shop line. It's a bit of a gotcha moment. I think we lose that :huh: reaction because we know where the song is going.
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

I heard the "Dick's Automotive" song for the first time today, also. It's so close to Albuquerque that it is ALMOST a parody (in my opinion). After hearing it, I checked out the Rugburns, and saw that "Me and Eddie Vedder" was one of their songs ... I have not heard it, but am planning on scoping out their CD's (from their website, they seem interesting).
PMFL!
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

scottidog @ Dec 16 2004, 03:09 AM wrote: See, that's one of the things I love about OMM. It starts out like a perfectly normal song, then without warning it gets warped. It happens right about the malt shop line. It's a bit of a gotcha moment. I think we lose that :huh: reaction because we know where the song is going.
That is so true, Bobbi ... upon first listen, a person would probably be all like (up in their grill), "Huh?? What?? What happened!?" And it's entirely possible that Al was looking for this effect.

As I said in my edit, I DO suck at this ... so ... umm, yeah (the first three pages or so of this topic are very interesting ... my apologies for the pollution).
PMFL!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Akrovak wrote: It's so close to Albuquerque that it is ALMOST a parody (in my opinion).

Yeah, you're right about "Dick's Automotive" being almost a parody. I might try listening to it again. *I like Albuquerque better, though* ;)
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

Well, YEAH ... so do I ... after all, Albuquerque has a constipated weiner dog, and NOTHING is better than that! :)

(seriously, I think the story line is a LOT smoother in Al's song)
PMFL!
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Akrovak @ Dec 16 2004, 02:15 AM wrote: In one line he sings ... "That's right (that's right) you ain't gonna see me cryin'. I'm glad (I'm glad) that you found somebody new".

And a verse or so later, he follows it up with ... "I'd rather rip out my intestines with a fork Than watch you going out with other men."
It doesn't say anywhere that the "someone new" is a man. ;)

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

algonacchick @ Dec 15 2004, 09:32 PM wrote: The song does not say they paid a phone bill. It says that haven't even paid the phone bill in 300 years. I take that to mean that in the 300 years the Amish have been around, they haven't paid a phone bill.
That could be true...but the song was recorded in 1996 and the Amish formed in 1690, so why didn't Al say "We haven't even paid the phone bill in three hundred and six years?" :P
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Cause it didn't fit.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

iisryan27 @ Dec 16 2004, 06:35 PM wrote: That could be true...but the song was recorded in 1996 and the Amish formed in 1690, so why didn't Al say "We haven't even paid the phone bill in three hundred and six years?" :P
There is something caled Over over-analyzing.

And I know it has been discussed that Albuquerque being a style parody of Dicks Automotive has been discussed before, but I think it was so long ago Bobbi couldnt even find it. I think it was right about the time we switched from the original black layout to the one we now know and love.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ