(Over)analyze This

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Of course he is. Mmmmm cookies....
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

You know when I saw the AP video, I looked for things that I recognized (Im on topic, I over analyzed the video), being only an hour away from Lancaster Ive been there a bunch of times, including on my last vacation. I actually thought that he came to Pa to film his video.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Wow! Sheesh! Ugh! Another trick from Al and you folks! Those were the lyrics from Gilligan's Island, the show I've never seen before! Another page added to my ALcyclopaedia...8)

SEVA.
"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

We've all figured out pretty much why Poodle Hat hasn't sold as well as previous Al-Bums, but let's over-analyze Polka Party's coming up short (Insert Prince Joke)

Now Al's certainly not a childrens artist, but think about it:

If you were anywhere from 5 to 12 during the 80's, and you heard Al you could say "Hey, I eat food!" or "Hey, I've been to a hospital!"

UHF doesn't count due to it being part of a more major project.

When Smells Like Nirvana came out, Al didn't need to worry about kids, because kids in the 80's who were Nirvana fans already knew who Al was. Same with Bad Hair Day or Running With Scissors (Alapalooza may have had a slight younger bump because every kid and their mother saw or wanted to see Jurassic Park)

But back to the 80's, if you're a kid, you have no idea what a hernia is (Al would've got better sales with kids if he just flat out said "Living With a Butt Pain") and also didn't know who James Brown or Rocky was.

Now, if you go by that theory (Which keep in mind, I'm a complete idiot), Poodle Hat was an attempt to reintroduce him to a new audience, while keeping the old...because if Couch Potato was allowed to continue to a video, kids can say "Hey! I watch tv!".

Remember, I'm not saying Al's a childrens artist. So don't yell at me
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

You've got an excellent point. (Although "Theme from Rocky XIII" is on In 3-D)

On paper, Polka Party! looks like it's aimed at adults. Parodies of James Brown, Mick Jagger, Robert Palmer (I know "Addicted to Love" was a hit, but was it big with the younger audience?), and El Debarge (who?). At best, kids would only know a handful of the artists in the polka: INXS, Janet Jackson, and Madonna. And in those pre-Internet days, you never knew who was in the polka until you bought the album.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I knew who Rocky was when IN 3-D came out, even if I was only 4. But living in Philly probably makes me more likely to know it that a kid in say Butte.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Carol
Obsessed

Post by Carol »

Hmmm.... doing a little research here... it seems like the Amish are Mennonites, but not all Mennonites are Amish. They're both Anabaptists.

So Al was correct in calling them Mennonites.
Well, I disagree, but I don't have a cointerpoint so whatever.

It's times like this I am proud to be of pure Mennonite blood.
Carpe Musica

I'm not being condescending, I'm too busy thinking about far more important things you wouldn't understand.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Something that I began to wonder about while watching the AP video last night: just WHO is the Florence Henderson character supposed to be? She's not the "very plain" wife. Is Al's Amish dude beginning to develop a wandering eye? :o
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Orthography Enthusiast @ Jan 9 2005, 12:39 AM wrote: Something that I began to wonder about while watching the AP video last night: just WHO is the Florence Henderson character supposed to be? She's not the "very plain" wife. Is Al's Amish dude beginning to develop a wandering eye? :o
Perhaps Florence's role could be figured out if anyone knew what Michelle Pfieffer's part was in the "Gangsta's Paradise" video. I'm not sure if she was just continuing the same role she had in "Dangerous Minds."
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I couldn't find anything quickly via Google about who Michelle P was supposed to be in the Gangsta's Paradise video, but I did find a nice review of the Amish Paradise video.

Maybe this is why Coolio was so mad?
From the moment "Amish Paradise" was first aired, Coolio became a total joke. He hasn't been heard of since.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.