Wearing out CDs?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Smells Like a Username
Occasional

Wearing out CDs?

Post by Smells Like a Username »

The only movement Poodle Hat's really made in my house is from my computer to the stereo or my room. I haven't really stopped playing it. At all. But now I'm starting to realize that it's starting to wear down. At random parts, usually during AWBP, it just starts to flip out like crazy. And it's not dirty because, like I said, it's barely moved or seen the light of day. Is it possible that I could have listened to it TOO much? :choon:
BLG123
Occasional

Post by BLG123 »

Same thing is happening to me :( . Except the CD moves from my stereo to my car. SKips like crazy in my stereo, plays perfectly in my car. Time to get a new stereo. :)
phieta27

Post by phieta27 »

Test with other CDs. My portable CD player is practically dead... with literally ANY CD I use in it, it skips so much you ca't hear it skipping. It skips over at least a minute of a track, plays a few seconds (if you're lucky) and skips again. My friend's CD Player, the stereo, car, or computer... they work perfectly unless there's a problem with the CD.

If you still have problems, clean the CD and use a SkipDoctor or something similar on it.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

CDs don't wear out. They just can't. They can only wear from damage:

Exposed to sunlight

Exposed to heat

Fingerprings

Scratches

etc, that kind of stuff. You probably scratched it.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

See, this is why I like to burn and play the backup copy. So my precious Al cds stay pristine.

I'm glad you can't wear them out, or I'd have Ebay worn completely off the disc by now.

Love my Poodle Hat!
ilikecheezealot
Occasional

Post by ilikecheezealot »

You might have done something to the lens on the stereo/CD player also...my old CD player (lasted 5 years, pretty darn good) can't play anything now because of that...
JKaudio
Occasional

Post by JKaudio »

I've had some of my CD's for 10 years and played them hundreds of times and they still play fine. If your CD players are playing other CD's fine and you DO discover that somehow the disc got messed up, when you get your new CD you should make a backup copy of it and only use the backup copy until it starts having problems, then use the original only to make another backup as they wear out or get damaged. It IS possible to back up the audio tracks on Poodle Hat for your own personal use. I did :biggrin:

-Jeremy

P.S. Or you can just keep buying new CD's! Al and TBITB won't mind!
-Jeremy
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

It IS possible to back up the audio tracks on Poodle Hat for your own personal use. I did :biggrin:
-Jeremy
P.S. Or you can just keep buying new CD's! Al and TBITB won't mind!

I will be too. Soon. :lookround: :biggrin:
MDuser63

Post by MDuser63 »

Exposed to sunlight
Exposed to heat
Fingerprings
Scratches

I pretty much agree with this statement. However, once a long time ago, my dad had a CD that worked perfectly for a while. He put it away and didn't listen to it for a long time. When he got it back out, it wouldn't play in any CD player, and it wasn't scratched at all. Was stored in a cool dry place in it's case indoors the whole time, so the disc must have simply "gone bad." Anyway, I doubt this is the case with the original poster's Poodle Hat CD, and anyway even if the disc is bad, it shouldn't be too hard to get it exchanged at the store.
JDTurnbull272
Addicted

Post by JDTurnbull272 »

GRRRR!!! :angry: :bomb: My CD is suddenly skipping during any of the enhanced features. And the photo gallery? Forget it! It won't even load. It skips in my CD player too! It is driving me crazy...

Exposed to sunlight
Exposed to heat
Fingerprings
Scratches

There isn't a single scratch on it, I NEVER touch the picture or shiny part (only the sides) it hasn't been in the heat or sunlight since it has been in a CD case in a cool closet. (A walk in closet that is.) It must've wore down or something. It rarely gets moved and when it does, with the tenderest love and care! Maybe we got defective CD's or something??? :( :( :( (I feel like crying) <BooHooHoo> My CD won't work!