The Hamilton Polka

No file trading allowed!

Moderator: Moderators

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: NEW SINGLE THIS FRIDAY!

Post by Killingsworth »

Okay, I suppose I am now the fourth person on this forum who had never heard any songs from the Hamilton soundtrack before. Don't worry, I do plan to at least listen to the songs that are actually included in this medley before hearing the polka (maybe not the whole two and a half hour soundtrack).

I'll admit I'm much less excited for the idea an all Hamilton soundtrack polka (given my complete unfamiliarity with the source material) than I would've been for just a regular new song from Al that he wrote (parody or original). Again, I have nothing against Hamilton. I'm not trying to bash the show, I'm just saying I never got around to familiarizing myself with even the soundtrack. I do like Lin-Manuel as a person just fine. He definitely seems like a great guy from what I've seen him on and what I know about him. Him being friends with Al alone is enough to make me think he's a good guy. I'I'm just saying those of you who are much bigger Hamilton fans than me would probably appreciate this more than me. I will wait until I actually HEAR the song to reserve my final judgement, though. I may not need to know all of the source material just to enjoy how it sounds.

Also, as I'm sure we all know, Al's polka medley tend to be big production numbers what with the various types of horns and all. I'm sure the polka recording process is quite involved. This makes me wonder...are we SURE he didn't record this much earlier than two weeks ago? Since we know he was in the recording studio two weeks before his tour, I'm starting to think he may have recorded something else then. Maybe he recorded the Hamilton polka months ago and didn't tweet about it or anything until Lin-Manuel wanted to announce its' release?

I'd like to think Al would record a different song that before the start of his tour that could have been knocked out much quicker than a polka. Again, this might just be wishful thinking again, but I'm still holding out some hope that we may get TWO songs tomorrow that have nothing to do with each other.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Honestly, his first big single after Mandatory Fun being The Hamilton Polka is the best thing for him and his career right now. People LOVE LMM, he is at the top of his fame right now until whatever comes next for him, plus going on Jimmy Fallon WITH Lin where both of them are pretty much in love with Al will make everyone else love Al too. Al probably could have done a Hamilton Polka a while ago, but he waited for just the right time to do it when he had this tour happening and Lin wasn't so busy I assume. Plus Al just had to go to Lin and ask permission for all the songs, and I'm sure Lin responded with "GOD YES." And who are we kidding, Lin is probably heavily featured on the track. I haven't read any spoilers, but I am planning on recording a reaction video for YNN!

I'm so hyped. :ttr:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

With you on that one Casey, I've never seen or heard it. Not too up to date on modern stuff.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Yeah, I can see the Hamilton Polka boosting his career and possibly gaining him some new fans by way of LMM, but I imagine some of those new fans may be disappointed to find out he may NOT be performing it on the new tour if they so choose to get tickets BECAUSE of this. Still, I do see how this is a strong "comeback" for him after not releasing new music for four years.

Also, Al has said a good parody should be funny whether or not you are familiar with the source material. I personally find it helps but I'd rather brush up on some modern things than outright bashould them.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
RyRyTheJewishGuy
Occasional

Post by RyRyTheJewishGuy »

Lin tweeted a short clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Killingsworth wrote: Also, as I'm sure we all know, Al's polka medley tend to be big production numbers what with the various types of horns and all. I'm sure the polka recording process is quite involved. This makes me wonder...are we SURE he didn't record this much earlier than two weeks ago?
I believe all the horns and stuff are synthesizers and MIDI instruments this time around, similar to the Squidbillies theme. It makes the process a lot easier and quicker, so he was probably recording the polka 2 weeks ago.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Re: The Hamilton Polka

Post by Teh Dingo »

FYI: This will stay in the main Music forum for now but it'll be placed in the Non-Album forum in a couple days.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

So... is there any way to hear this besides Spotify?
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

ergalthema wrote:So... is there any way to hear this besides Spotify?

Youtube
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Post by spmahn »

All I can really do with this one is appreciate the musical quality and otherwise just shrug my shoulders at it. Too esoteric for me I suppose.