The Hamilton Polka

No file trading allowed!

Moderator: Moderators

weird_el
Off The Deep End

Re: The Hamilton Polka

Post by weird_el »

In anticipation of this great event I downloaded and listened to the OCR of Hamilton all day. It was great fun - like a 2 1/2 hour Schoolhouse Rock. Now Al has managed to brilliantly condense it into 5 minutes.

I first heard about the Hamilton musical 4 years ago when Al saw it off-broadway and raved about it on Twitter. The circle is complete.
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

I REACTED. I'M STILL REACTING.

Youtube

-ALICIA :yay:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

what is hamilton
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Mystik Tomato wrote:what is hamilton
Got $10?

Ah you're Australian. Alexander Hamilton was our first Secretary of the Treasury and he's on the US Ten dollar bill. There's an insanely popular musical about his life and this polka is based on the music from that musical.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Mystik Tomato »

yes but it's more cloaser to 7.70 american dollars
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Mystik Tomato »

i can't believe weird al did a polka about the songs the first us president sang
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

The songs are new. All written by Lin Manuel Miranda, who has been an Al fan most of his life. LLM has Tonys, Grammys, a Pulitzer, a MacArthur Genius Grant for Hamilton, but an Al polka medley may be the greatest accolade of all.
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

Yay! A new Al song - and a polka at that!

Alas, despite its massive popularity, count me among that crowd that hasn't seen Hamilton, or even listened to the songs that are the basis of this polka (unless you count previews on iTunes once or twice). I still enjoy the polka, but unlike his pop song medleys, familiarity with the source material is less readily accessible than usual, which slightly (slightly!) diminishes the appeal.

But it's still a new Al song, so away goes my money...
stardrop
Occasional

Post by stardrop »

Well, I'm a part of the hasn't-seen-Hamilton crowd - But now I think I'll buy Hamilton soundtrack in near future.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Okay, after hearing the song for the first time, I have to say I quite enjoyed it. It's a fun listen and quite a "bop" (as the kids still say, I think). It pretty much grew on me instantly once I got used to the basic idea/concept of it and gave it a listen. I'm also glad I decided to seek out the specific songs he used from the sound track on YouTube r before hearing it because I can see Al really enhanced several of them.

I'd have to say the thing I like most about it right off the bat is how well the songs flow together. The flow here manages to be even better than "NOW Thats' What I Call Polka!" from the previous album (and people like Bermuda and Patton Oswalt touted that as a major selling point before it actually got released). Of course it must help that all of these songs are on the exact same soundtrack, but Al still made it all work very well.

It reminded me a lot of those fan constructed polka medlies of Als' originals (and the "Auto-Polka" one that used a few of the same songs that ended up on "Polka Face") I would see on YouTube since I started becoming a fan. I don't know if it was the production value, the niche audience appeal, the key he sang it in or just the extreme wordiness of the songs but I just got that general vibe from it in a very good way.

I may post more of these random thoughts and stray observations here the more I listen, so...just be warned.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...