The Al-at-Work Experiment

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Jigawatt
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Moderator: 2010
Former Multi-Time Best Avatar (Non-Photo): 2003-2009
Best Avatar: 2015

The Al-at-Work Experiment

Post by Jigawatt »

Today, I decided to conduct a little experiment at work. At my office, I work in a production area with about 15-20 people... there's only about 25-30 people at the company total, but that's irrelevant. With an early release today (they mercifully let us out at 3:30 to get an early start on our respective Memorial Day weekend plans) the 2:30-3:30 block was going to be pretty work free and people weren't going to be too busy. We have a pretty decent stereo system in that room that we hear the same CD's over and over and over again on (despite a CD changer that holds about a gazillion discs), so I figured, why not see how 15-20 non-Al fans respond to Poodle Hat? I already knew *I* loved it, but this seemed like an intruiging thing to explore, and I thought it would make for something interesting to post here to compare with our reactions as hardcore fans. I only let one person in on what I was going to do.. a friend of mine who actually told me the first day I was working there that he didn't find Al funny at all. I had hypothesized that the room would be less-than-Al friendly, but this same person said not to be so sure of that--he was actually looking forward to hearing something different for a change. So without further babbling, I present to you the results of my experiment:

Couch Potato: The initial reaction was surprise--no one saw it coming and there was some laughs just realizing that it was Al. The first verse got somewhat talked over with conversation of the Eminem controversy (a lot of people really have heard about that) and talk of Al in general. The reaction to this was actually pretty good, with one guy asking who brought it in, and subsequently congratulating me on a good choice. I subsequently scared him a little bit by mentioning I had Al's whole library and then some. Predictably, one of the favored lines was the Will & Grace line. The majority of people were familiar with the original song (the office stereo system seems to have an angry white boy slant, which obviously will help later on), so a lot of people "got it" and enjoyed it.

Hardware Store: Yikes. A quick turn from good reaction to total indifference, except for two reactions: one guy said Al sounded like a Muppet Show reject, the other got up and turned the stereo down a bit.... guess the tool noises were sawing at his nerves. Didn't think this would get the best reaction but this was worse than hypothesized.

Trash Day: We go from worse-than-hypothesized to better-than-hypothesized. I like this song, but I know a few people around here didn't find trash to be too funny. Again, with most of the test subjects familiar with the original song, they appreciated the parody and found the trash jokes funny. The favored line in this song: "It's so filthy, now baby, I can't lie

I wipe my feet before I go outside."

Party at the Leper Colony: For some reason the earlier lowering-of-volume seemed to affect this song more than Trash Day. I had trouble hearing it myself and I know the lyrics. NOT ONE REACTION LOGGED TO THIS SONG. Not sure if it was the volume or not, but either no one could hear it or no one cared because it wasn't a parody. The latter is entirely possible because for the most part, the trend was people payed more attention when they recognized the song as a parody. One good thing did happen in the time this song was on though--one of the Russian programmers came over to me and broke the language barrier enough to compliment the quality of the music on the parodies. He couldn't believe how high-quality the replication of the originals was--he actually wasn't sure if Al sang over the original music or had a band. When I informed him of the latter he was HIGHLY impressed.

Angry White Boy Polka: Score! Some of these songs are some of those very same played-over-and-over songs I mentioned earlier. LOTS of laughs for this one. Best reactions were for Chop Suey and Down with the Sickness, but this was an all-around winner.

Wanna B Ur Lovr: This was one of the biggest surprises--a lot of laughs for the innuendos! Lots of love for "Girl you must be Jamaican... because Jamaican me crazy". Another friend of mine in my department busted out laughing at "I hope I'm not being forward but do you mind if I chew on your butt?" My manager busted out at "My love for you's like diarrhea--I just can't hold it in." I like this song a lot, but I was still surprised that the non-Al fan subjects appreciated it this much.

A Complicated Song: Tied with Angry White Boy Polka for the most-favored track on the album. My office finds constipation VERY FUNNY. More than a couple people commented that Avril bugs them and liked that Al took it on. One guy said the first verse was his biography--he's known for eating mostly pizza and nothing else, and well... I guess he has irregularity problems? The second and third verses scored almost as highly, but what can I say... bowel evacuation was the big winner. This met my expectations, since this is probably my favorite track on the album and figured/hoped it would do well.

Why Does This Always Happen To Me?: First and third verses didn't get much reaction, but the second verse got some laughs. One guy commented on the $5 was owed: "That's so true, I'd be mad too." The gory humor didn't register as much as I'd hoped, but at least the one guy liked it. :)

Ode to a Superhero: Another hit. Just about everybody seemed very familiar with the Spider-Man movie, and everyone and their poodle is familiar with Piano Man, so the combination worked.. lots 'o' laughs. As with many people here the most favored line was: "But to his great surprise it seems she prefers guys who can kiss upside down in the rain." I heard the president of my company chuckle at that as we walked through the production area. Russian Programmer Guy came back by to comment on the quality of the music.

Bob: MUCH better than hypothesized! Everyone got the fact that it was done in the style of Dylan right away. Many assumed it was gibberish and were pleased enough with that. When a few people realized that every line was a palindrome it actually blew them away. My manager's quote: "That's #*%^ing BIZARRE--I LOVE IT!" As far as the original songs go, the overall reaction was probably better to Wanna B Ur Lovr but the individual praises were definitely higher for Bob.

eBay: This was fairly well liked. It was much more appreciated by the faction of people who are known eBayers, which was an expected result. LOTS of laughs all around for: "Tell me why I bid on Shatner's old toupee / They had it on eBay". Unfortunately this was also mostly an unexpected premature end to the experiment...

Genius in France: I was actually very interested to hear what the reaction would be to this song. To my dismay, the president of the company got bent out of shape about some minor technical problem and the ensuing 7-person conversation in one corner of the room about it took away a good chunk of my test subjects and drowned out the lyrics for my remaining mice, er, co-workers. There's a good amount of people in my office who wholeheartedly dislike the French so I really wanted to see what they thought, but alas, I was foiled. The only reaction logged to this song was a random person who popped in and said (mostly to himself) "This sounds like Zappa" and subsequently left to go back to his desk on the other side of the building.

Overall the album worked out well--better than I expected. The only negative reaction was to Hardware Store... the positive reaction to the parodies, Wanna B Ur Lovr, and Bob outweighed the indifference to everything else. I honestly thought that at some point somebody with no sense of humor would turn it off but it made it through and most people either found it entertaining to varying degrees or were happy enough to hear something different and unique. A few people surprised me with their knowledge of Al... when one person got confused when the polka changed from one song to another, another responded "It's a medley--he does this on all his albums." My manager asked me "Isn't he some sort of mathematical genius or something? He went to a really good school right?" When I told him he was correct, and informed him of the architecture degree, etc etc, he was impressed, and I was surprised he knew that much about him. If anyone here has the same capabilities to conduct the same experiment on another set of subjects, I'd be very interested to see how well it goes.

Adrian
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

I've tested a few of the songs on certain people. Kid who'd never heard Al but I crack him up with Al on my bus: listened to Hardware Store, Trash Day and Genius in France (half of it), was immediately hooked and is buying the album.

My old teacher: listened to Ode to a Superhero and EBay, laughed a lot. Previous Al fan.

I'm going to test it June 6th for my entire grade at our End of Year Bowling Party. Last winter I did GH2, and the entire lanes begged for it off, since they did not know any of the parodies, and they heard accordion.

But since they're all Eminem worshippers and this is now the most talked about song in our class...
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Heh, cool. I wish stores near me would play Al's stuff. I should ask em to play Poodle Hat sometime.
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

Oh i forgot to mention the buzz is in a GOOD way.
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.
sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

I was planning on a similar experiment at the library where I volunteer

Sarah

I'll let you know next tuesday
Weird Alan
Regular

Post by Weird Alan »

Which reminds me...for some odd-ball reason, my 40+ year old dad absolutly loved Poodle Hat. He went to work and was telling everyone about this 'Hardware Store' song that he loved so much, and told me everyone was like, "Weird Al? .....ok." Dumb people e.e
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I can't put Al on the PA system at work because I work in court, but I've been taking my Poodle for a walk ever since Tuesday, shoving my portable CD player & headphones at unsuspecting colleagues. The ones I've played for people-- Hardware Store, eBay, Ode to a Superhero, Genius in France-- have gone over well; watching people laugh at an Al song for the first time is nearly as good as laughing for the first time at an Al song yourself-- although one friend found Hardware Store a little too intense to listen to before he'd had his coffee.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

watching people laugh at an Al song for the first time is nearly as good as laughing for the first time at an Al song yourself

A first Al listen is one of the rarest best pleasures in the world.
Jigawatt
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Moderator: 2010
Former Multi-Time Best Avatar (Non-Photo): 2003-2009
Best Avatar: 2015

Post by Jigawatt »

watching people laugh at an Al song for the first time is nearly as good as laughing for the first time at an Al song yourself
A first Al listen is one of the rarest best pleasures in the world.
Exactly--that was one of the motivating factors behind my throwing it into the office CD player. Nothing was more gratifying than seeing my manager rave about Bob.
although one friend found Hardware Store a little too intense to listen to before he'd had his coffee.

Unfortunately I think this had something to do with the lowering of the volume during that song. Had I forseen this I might have taken the volume down a bit myself before HS and jacked it back up after it was over.

Adrian
Phillipemoz
Occasional

Post by Phillipemoz »

Well, I was going to make a seprate thread called "what do your friends think of Poodle Hat?", but this kind of fits in here, so I'll post my message here.

My friend isn't a total Al fan like me, but he thinks some of his stuff is funny. Obviously, if he hated Al he wouldn't be my friend. :stupid:

So I was curious to find out what he thought about the album, but I didn't spring it on him right away. I just happened to have it in my CD drive when we were riding in my car, and he turned on the radio first. Then when he didn't hear anything he liked, he put on the CD. (not knowing of course that it was weird al- I had mentioned about Al coming out with a new song before, but didn't say he had an album out or that I bought it. So I was looking for the surprise when he heard Weird Al.)

Now, being Eminem fans (I hadn't told him about Em not letting Al do a video for his parody yet, didn't want to burst his bubble too much), I often have the 8 mile soundtrack in my player, and the first track is lose yourself. Now if Al had put the piano part in and replicated the original a little more, it would have been even funnier, but it was still effective.

My friend thought "lose yourself" was coming on, and then realized it wasn't eminem- he said "is this a spoof?"- I said yea, and then he heard the line where Al said "if you had the chance to watch all the TV you wantted to, until your brain turned to mush . . . " and started laughing. Then when Al started rapping he started laughing even more.

Now I wasn't sure what he would think of Hardware Store, since I myself didn't think it was that funny, but I liked the style and how fast Al is singing at the end. This song didn't register any reaction until the end, when my friend started laughing at how silly Al's ryming sounded at the end.

Trash Day- no reaction at all.

Party at the leper colony- listened to part of it, then he pressed the skip button.

Angry White Boy Polka- laughed at how the line "self ritious suicide" was set to polka music.

Wanna B Ur Lovr- we listened to a little and then I hit the skip button. My friend approved. ( I actually like it but I don't know if non- Al fans will)

A complicated song- very funny. My friend laughed at this. especially the "move to alabama" line.

Why does this always happen to me- the first punchline delivered some big laughs.

Ode to a superhero- My friend actually liked this more than I did. There were some funny lines that I didn't pay much attention to the first time I heard it.

Bob- I told my friend this was making fun of Bob Dylan, and he didn't even know who that was. I also told him that every line is a palindrome, but he didn't seem to care too much for this song- no laughs recorded.

Ebay- my friend loved this one- he thought it was hilarious, as did I. Partly because it is making fun of the backstreet boys, who we both hate, and that the lyrics are funny. I think this was his favorite, and it is my favorite too, along with couch potato.

Genius in France- my friend doesn't know Zappa's music, so this song didn't make much of an impression on him. We listened to a little and then he turned the radio back on.

Then my friend commented later on that it was a pretty good CD.