The Al-at-Work Experiment

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Jigawatt
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Moderator: 2010
Former Multi-Time Best Avatar (Non-Photo): 2003-2009
Best Avatar: 2015

Post by Jigawatt »

scottidog @ Feb 10 2005, 02:11 AM wrote: Of course.  Doesn't everyone?  He also has a Tweetybird Lamp.
The Tweety Bird lamp isn't mine, but yes, it's in the house. :rolleyes:

Adrian
"Then you had Muppets and Hispanics and William Shatner."

PMFL!
TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles
Off The Deep End

Post by TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles »

Jigawatt @ Feb 9 2005, 06:09 PM wrote:

"You know, Adrian has a life-size statue of Yoda in his house."
WOW! REALLY? :whoot:
The Office: NBC, Thursdays at 9.
If you're not watching, you're doing yourself great injustice.
Jigawatt
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Moderator: 2010
Former Multi-Time Best Avatar (Non-Photo): 2003-2009
Best Avatar: 2015

Post by Jigawatt »

TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles @ Feb 10 2005, 05:23 PM wrote: WOW! REALLY? :whoot:
Yes, his head shot appears in the post before yours. ^_^

Adrian
"Then you had Muppets and Hispanics and William Shatner."

PMFL!
WeirdMichaelFreddyJasonfan
Die-hard Fan

Post by WeirdMichaelFreddyJasonfan »

scottidog @ May 23 2003, 10:43 PM wrote:
A first Al listen is one of the rarest best pleasures in the world.
That's true I remember how my friend looked when I let him listen to my Weird Al Cds. After I let him listen to one song, he was hooked. He asked if he could borrow ALL of my Cds. I said ok becuase I had some Weird Al songs on a tape so I could torchture my mom in the car. >:)
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Did he give them back?
fred27
Obsessed

Post by fred27 »

how about Al at school related experiences, im in steering and suspensions and we were talking about tires, and there was a certain tire we were talking about, dont remember at the moment, but teach said what happens when that type goes flat faster as your going 80-100 MPH, i said 12 car pile up, :)
fred

total shows to date, 161
samuraisumo
Off The Deep End

Post by samuraisumo »

Played Al at work today. It was an okay experience just because I couldn't sing along as fast.
My friends call me Sumo.

Al team member 62!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Four year old bumpage? Wow... But I do have a reason. This seemed the best place to post my little story.

So, some of you know this already, but some of you may not know that I volunteer at a minimum security men's prison as a Religious Services volunteer. Thursday nights I show movies for the inmates, and I have always shown either Christian movies or movies with a positive message. (This is a voluntary program, the inmates that come are those who want to be there.)

I've been thinking lately that perhaps there was room for just good clean fun too. So I asked the Chaplain his opinion and he agreed with me, so I'll be including movies once a month that are just for entertainment, not necessarily for any deep message.

So I was trying to find some good clean fun for tonight. What's more gooder, cleaner or funner than a Weird Al concert? Nothing, that's what!!

So I took WAYlive and the videos out with me. I'd have to say Al was about an 85 - 90% hit. There were about five guys who left before the medley. One guy, probably in his 60s left after DTBS, mumbling "I guess that song says it all..." I guess you can't please everyone. X*

But the vast majority of the guys loved it and had a blast. Many of them thanked me for bringing out the video, one guy said to me "When it started I felt like it was a big waste of my time. But I don't think that anymore. I realized that I was wrong and I needed to have a good laugh."

Prison can be a pretty bleak experience. I think Al would be proud that he brought a little breath of joy out there tonight.

And of course there's the "first listen" factor. One of the things I love about the concert experience is seeing the reaction of people who aren't familiar with Al beyond "Eat It" as they hear the other songs and see the performance. It's the next best thing to a "first listen" of new Alness. There were a lot of first listen reactions as well as those who remembered the videos from back in the day. Very gratifying to my geeky fangirl heart.

Oh, and we had it set up on a projector so the screen was probably 8 feet or so across. Nearly life size, and with surround sound (I know it's Prison, but we have a pretty sweet sound system out there) it was cool getting to see it in that format. Germs on the large screen? The Mighty Silver Suit? :wub:

One thing for me that was different, was that I haven't seen WAY live since before I started playing guitar. Just generally now, I find myself watching the guitar players in any music video to see what they're doing with their hands. Very frustrating to me was that not only didn't they show Jim as much as I'd like, they hardly ever showed his hands. But what I did get to see, I can appreciate much more than I used to. He's an amazing guitarist. And he plays a sweet Gretsch guitar in the DTBS vid. My favorite guitar ever. I wonder if he still has it?
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

Wow, I hope that if I ever get arrested I have you as a Religious Services volunteer.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Don't get arrested. WAYLive is not that expensive.