Al's voice

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Squirrelygirl
Obsessed

Post by Squirrelygirl »

That groaning, sultry vocal in "Wanna B Ur Lover" is too much. :onfire: I'm listening to it right now, and it is wonderful :onfire: Such a perfect contrast to the wonky lyrics

That is my favorite song on the album, and if there is a God in heaven, it

will be included in the concert tour. This would be so perfect to replace Germs as the female fan crowd pleaser.

:oha:

Please, please, please.... :inlove:

sg

(Dabbing a little eau de Frito behind my ears.)
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Post by jerrymustbeslaughtered »

glad to see that some people like Wanna B Ur Lover. It's so underrated.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I dont know if Al was just alittle off last night, but Im gonna say his voice is altered in at least CP (I dont know about this abbreviation :dontgetit: ) They sound totally different. Not sure if its a good thing ora bad thing yet.

Mike
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
cromulnt
Occasional

Re: Al's voice

Post by cromulnt »

[quote]Has anyone noticed that on Poodle Hat, most of the tracks, especially Hardware Store, Al's vocals sound more like they did in the 80's? On RWS, his voice seemed lower and smoother...

I've noticed that myself...and also, if I'm not mistaken, "A Complicated Song" marks the first time since "Even Worse" that Al's parody was in a different key than the original (and in the case of this song I'm glad because I can't stand "Complicated" and this makes it sound less like that song). That really makes you think...

But nevertheless, Al demonstrates, as usual, that he has quite an impressive vocal range.
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Yeah, i wanted to post but I forgot, but I was going to say that his vocal talent is excellent in complicated. Some people claim that he doesn't have a good singing voice, but clearly he does.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Re: Al's voice

Post by scottidog »

I've noticed that myself...and also, if I'm not mistaken, "A Complicated Song" marks the first time since "Even Worse" that Al's parody was in a different key than the original (and in the case of this song I'm glad because I can't stand "Complicated" and this makes it sound less like that song). That really makes you think...
It really makes me think you haven't read the Ask Al Archives... It's required reading, you know. Just check page 27 of The Handbook.
Fred Durst of L.A., California asks: In "Eat It", why is it that the music sounds a little off-key from the original "Beat It"?

We did that in a much different key from the original song, because Michael Jackson and I have very different vocal ranges.
He also tends to tinker with the tempo:
I generally like to make my parodies a couple beats per minute faster than the original song, just for a little energy boost. Also, I find that the comedy usually plays better if the tempo is a little quicker.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

That groaning, sultry vocal in "Wanna B Ur Lover" is too much.

Yeah, I had no idea Al was Jamaican... :blush:
Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

That groaning, sultry vocal in "Wanna B Ur Lover" is too much. :onfire: I'm listening to it right now, and it is wonderful :onfire: Such a perfect contrast to the wonky lyrics

That is my favorite song on the album, and if there is a God in heaven, it
will be included in the concert tour. This would be so perfect to replace Germs as the female fan crowd pleaser.

I hear ya, SG! I love the crooning of this song, and every time I picture Al singing this to Suzanne it gives me the giggles (cause I know he'd just be making exaggerated, silly faces the whole time or something). I wouldn't complain if it was in the tour, but I do hope that OMM is still in there..

-Shelley
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

One More Minute will always be on the setlist (I hope).
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

every time I picture Al singing this to Suzanne it gives me the giggles

I've been trying not to think of the research that went into this song. But I can imagine Suzanne saying "Al, that's just awful. You have to put that one in the song!"

I wouldn't mind if we replace the song Germs, just so long as the ripped fishnet and the writhing and mic licking stays in the setlist.