Al's voice

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Al's voice

Post by jerrymustbeslaughtered »

Has anyone noticed that on Poodle Hat, most of the tracks, especially Hardware Store, Al's vocals sound more like they did in the 80's? On RWS, his voice seemed lower and smoother...
Demented Dustin
Regular

Post by Demented Dustin »

I was just thinking about this topic and was wanting to comment on his voice on this album. I think his voice does sound a bit different but to me not quite like the 80's. (though it sounds alot like "Like a Surgeon" type vocal) I think his voice has gotten better over the years (especially from the first album). Al's voice is quite different than RWS. I think besides CP and Bob, his voice sounds a little synthesized like it was on the Weird Al Theme Song. Definately more nasal....I think though on some songs it works very well in a comedy sense. I personally enjoy a little more variety in his voice but still really enjoy the album.
RanWithScissors
Location: New Jersey (but don't let the name fool you...it's actually VERY old.)

Post by RanWithScissors »

He definitely has an incredible vocal range though, doesn't he? I mean, it just goes to once again reinforce my belief that he IS the most talented musical performer in the industry. :biggrin:
"It would take a man of stone with a funny bone of steel to resist that." - Homer Simpson on "Weird Al"
JKaudio
Occasional

Post by JKaudio »

I am hearing his voice doubled on some songs. I don't know if this was done by singing the parts twice in near perfect synchronicity or more likely done digitally or with a processor. I like it! There were a few low parts that I thought someone else had sang, but checked the liner notes on those songs and it was all Al! THAT MAN HAS RANGE!

-Jeremy
-Jeremy
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Speaking of his voice... listening to the bonus mix for Hardware Store, he is doing most of the harmonies. Except for the very low ones. I don't know for sure, I suspect those are Steve.

But the harmonies are incredible. I have sung harmonies and let me tell you it is an art. To do so many different parts and to keep the words in synch in all the parts in such a fast, wordy song is tough. Not many people could do it. Al's gift is incredible. Wowza.

And as I listened to that mix, I kept thinking what a fun acapella song it would be for a choir to do. Unexpected and funny, but requiring a lot of skill. Kinda like the one OE found of the high school (?) choir that did a selection from the Yoda Chant.

Oh yeah, speaking of voices... Bela has a lovely singing voice, doesn't she?
sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

I *always* miss where Bela is....someone please pinpoint this, I'm blonde....

I thought that was Steve, too...but it isn't listed in the notes....it couldn't be....well.....It might...noo....well...it the only two listed singers on that track are Al and Lisa Popeil....and for some reason I doubt it was her.....

and I want to put together hardware store for a local talent show....first I have to finish getting that verse down, then decide if I want to do it a capella or with instrumental...then I have to figure out how to get the instrumental on a CD or tape.......

Sarah
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I *always* miss where Bela is....someone please pinpoint this, I'm blonde....

I can't read the lyrics, it's dark and the print is teensy tinsy But I know Bela has her big solo after the word Croissants...

It goes something like: they love me in provance, i get free croissants.

WOOF!! did my dog-loving heart good.

Al might have done the LOW Low stuff too, and if he did then my Poodle Hat is really off to him!
sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

ok thanks.....

I double checked the notes...and that MUST be him singing....he has mentioned in something I read that he goes into the studio early to sing the earlier parts......

Sarah

AH HAH! I heard Bela!!!!!

how cute
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Well, he's also described Steve's voice as lower than human. I guess it's a question for Bermuda.
sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

there's something else for me to lose sleep about...haha....

I just think it is steve...but I (for some reason) want to believe the notes are correct (which they barely are, since they always cut stuff out for space)

Sarah