New Al Songs

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

offbeatbryce
Occasional

New Al Songs

Post by offbeatbryce »

Do you all think Al will post his new songs right away or will he do the same thing he's always done where he posts that he was in the studio?

When do you think a new Al song will be released? Apple Music is coming out he could be saving something for that
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: New Al Songs

Post by minnick27 »

Nobody really knows. Als contract is up and he's not looking for a new one, but I'm sure if someone drove a big truck of cash to his house he would sign. Most likely he will release songs as they are recorded to be timely, but you never know.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

I think we will find out after the Mandatory Tour what Al will do. He's indicated he won't do traditional albums anymore. But, never say never.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I suspect we will get no more than a few days' notice that something is coming out for the next release. I don't think he would just drop it with no advance hype at all, but I also can't see it being as much as Mandatory Fun. I think he would try to excite the fanbase and generate some publicity before the next song comes out.
This is a totally hypothetical guess that I'm sure even Al has no idea about right now (and also has nothing to do with the question in the first post), but I would speculate that a standalone parody release in the first half of 2016 might be the next release, which would then be added to next year's setlist, thus shuffling a handful of songs around.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
FreedomHaul
Occasional

Post by FreedomHaul »

TMBJon wrote:I suspect we will get no more than a few days' notice that something is coming out for the next release. I don't think he would just drop it with no advance hype at all, but I also can't see it being as much as Mandatory Fun. I think he would try to excite the fanbase and generate some publicity before the next song comes out.
The "no publicity" thing seems like its becoming more and more popular as a way of releasing new material. It makes some sense, given how connected to the internet most people are and how quickly something can become viral (and the short amount of time this usually lasts!).

Here's a question: with a few exceptions (the Gaga parody, for example), I read in the Al in the Box liner notes that Al didn't usually write or record while on tour. Has this changed as he's gotten older?
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

FreedomHaul wrote: Here's a question: with a few exceptions (the Gaga parody, for example), I read in the Al in the Box liner notes that Al didn't usually write or record while on tour. Has this changed as he's gotten older?
Recently he clearly stated that he will not try to write anything during this tour and only start thinking about new songs when it is over.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

The Gaga thing was definitely different. He was touring because they hadn't been out in a while, but he also had a near complete album, only waiting for a lead single. It would have been stupid for him to not be writing

mybologna
Regular

Post by mybologna »

As much as I love DTBS, something about its placement in this tour seemed almost...forced? Like as in its a place-holder for whenever a new parody is ready to be released or performed, so I imagine if he did write a new song thats where it'd fall in place in the set-list.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I believe it won the fan vote. But since it was so recently in a tour it should have been passed over in favor of NTTH which had to be second place

mybologna
Regular

Post by mybologna »

minnick27 wrote:I believe it won the fan vote. But since it was so recently in a tour it should have been passed over in favor of NTTH which had to be second place

I figured that was the case. I'm glad its still here, but DTBS is like that treat you only allow yourself to have every once in a while so you don't start losing your taste for it XD

NTTH would have been a trip man. I just wonder what the performance would have been like since his shows have changed so much since 1984.