Observations about Weird Al Album covers.

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

AlZilla816
Location: The Planet Of The Radioactive Hamsters From A Planet Near Mars

Observations about Weird Al Album covers.

Post by AlZilla816 »

I decided to start this topic in order to find some hidden easter eggs that show how much of a genius Al and his team are.
Weird is my middle name.
Al concerts I've been to:
Brady Theater Tulsa, OK May 19th, 2015
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Re: Observations about Weird Al Album covers.

Post by anthontherun »

This obviously wasn't intentionally foreshadowing (or was it...?), but I like how on the side of the TV on the debut album cover, there's a "No Polkas" sticker. Interesting, since it's one of only two albums without a polka. Of course, they have a slash through the words "No Polka," which sort of creates the exact opposite meaning they were going for (or does it...?). But still, kudos for providing a spoiler for the next three decades of Al's career.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Well, this probably isn't a huge or new observation, nor am I sure that it's necessarily proof of anyone's genius, but has it ever been explained why the RWS album cover is made up of two disjointed photos? We see the photo with Al in it on the left, with a patch of green where the running track ends, and then there's a second photo showing 3 running lane lines going horizontally (slightly angled upward, basically cutting off the other photo). At first I thought it was just an odd choice, but now I'm thinking: This means something. This is important.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
AlZilla816
Location: The Planet Of The Radioactive Hamsters From A Planet Near Mars

Post by AlZilla816 »

mrmeadows wrote:Well, this probably isn't a huge or new observation, nor am I sure that it's necessarily proof of anyone's genius, but has it ever been explained why the RWS album cover is made up of two disjointed photos? We see the photo with Al in it on the left, with a patch of green where the running track ends, and then there's a second photo showing 3 running lane lines going horizontally (slightly angled upward, basically cutting off the other photo). At first I thought it was just an odd choice, but now I'm thinking: This means something. This is important.
I used to think the same thing, but you got me thinking.....
Weird is my middle name.
Al concerts I've been to:
Brady Theater Tulsa, OK May 19th, 2015
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Yeah, this has always bothered me. What's interesting is that the cassette cover is just the photo of Al, so I wonder if it was designed with the cassette in mind, although that would be ridiculous in 1999.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

mrmeadows wrote:Well, this probably isn't a huge or new observation, nor am I sure that it's necessarily proof of anyone's genius, but has it ever been explained why the RWS album cover is made up of two disjointed photos? We see the photo with Al in it on the left, with a patch of green where the running track ends, and then there's a second photo showing 3 running lane lines going horizontally (slightly angled upward, basically cutting off the other photo). At first I thought it was just an odd choice, but now I'm thinking: This means something. This is important.
I never noticed that. It's really weird. Maybe it has something to do with scissors being used for cutting, so photo has been cut in a way... :?
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

mellow weasel wrote: I never noticed that. It's really weird. Maybe it has something to do with scissors being used for cutting, so photo has been cut in a way... :?
I actually had that same thought...but seems too literal.

I do like Anth's theory. It's a logical explanation, anyway. Do you know if the cassette photo folds back right on the line where the photos meet? If so, that's probably the answer. But yes...seems very strange to have a cassette cover dictate the look of your CD cover on the cusp of the 21st century.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Or something was off on the grass that they wanted to crop out of the picture, like a camera, or gym bag, or Ruben's smelly running socks.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

mrmeadows wrote:I do like Anth's theory. It's a logical explanation, anyway. Do you know if the cassette photo folds back right on the line where the photos meet? If so, that's probably the answer. But yes...seems very strange to have a cassette cover dictate the look of your CD cover on the cusp of the 21st century.
Actually, I was wrong...the cassette still has the track as a border!

To make things even more confusing, it's actually cropped compared to the picture on the CD cover, so this really wasn't necessary at all (except to make it seamless with the side/back flap).
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

The Running With Scissors cover artwork makes no sense. There is no explanation that could possibly satisfy.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.