New Songs Before the Tour???

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Will Al release new music before the start of the 2015 Tour?

ZERO - No new music before the tour.
50%
ONE - A parody
33%
ONE - An original
4%
TWO - A parody and an original
No votes
TWO - Two parodies
4%
TWO - Two originals
No votes
THREE - A collection of new songs
4%
FOUR OR MORE - Hey, we can dream right?
4%

Total votes: 24

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

New Songs Before the Tour???

Post by TMBJon »

Hey folks, wanted to gage public opinion on this question. We know that there will be a tour starting on May 15, 2015.
Do you predict that any NEW Weird Al songs will be released before the first show of the tour? And if so, what type of songs will they be?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: New Songs Before the Tour???

Post by Big Spoon »

Maybe it's just because I'm so cynical, but I don't think we're gonna get anything. I would love to get another song or two, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's very likely.
And Peggy
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

From a sheer marketing standpoint, I think releasing at least one new parody to promote the tour would be a very good idea.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

If there's some big hit and Al has an idea for a parody, I don't see why he wouldn't use the chance to be topical and release it right away, just as he planned. But I don't expect any originals.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I'm definitely not expecting anything. It would be a good idea, and if the video for the song could go viral, it would help to generate a lot of buzz for Al going into the tour. I'm not sure why I don't think there will be a new song, but I just don't see it happening.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I'm going to be optimistic and say that he will release one topical parody prior to the tour. It's been a long time between the release of MF and the tour, so he may want to try and rekindle interest among his newer and more casual fans in seeing him live.

That said, the realist in me says we'll get nothing.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

If there's a ubiquitous popular song between now and May, Al would be remiss if he doesn't parody it. No contract frees him up to do that very thing.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

It makes a lot of sense to release one more parody just before the tour to generate one more round of publicity riding the wave from last year into the tour. It would be great to have a new "lead single" to promote, since there really wasn't one standout track on Mandatory Fun (and I mean that in a good way). And really that's the point of not being on a contract is so he can release a single to promote the new tour. One additional piece of anecdotal evidence: I don't recall exactly where, but in some interview within the last few months, Al said he wasn't working on any new material at the time, taking off until after the holidays.

Just an unsubstantiated prediction, but I think it's gonna happen.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

I think Al might feel that it would be out of place in the midst of his last album-specific tour. Not to say that it won't happen, but I think Al might have snapped mostly out of writing mode... unless it's a really good song/idea.

He could easily pull some new concert-only material and then flip it after the tour.

EDIT: TMBJon makes a good point, all the same. I am hopeful!
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I wonder if Adele will get her delayed third album out before May. She was glaringly absent from MF and I'd like to see Al perhaps make up for that if she gives him something to work with.

Madonna is releasing a new album in March...but I kind of doubt Al would target her again.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.