Handy v. Theme From Home Improvement (I'll Repair For You)

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Which is better - Theme From Home Improvement or Handy?

Handy
41%
Theme From Home Improvement (I'll Repair For You)
59%

Total votes: 37

QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Handy v. Theme From Home Improvement (I'll Repair For You)

Post by QuantumError »

For those of you who didn't know, back in the mid-90's, Al recorded a parody of the song I'll Be There For You, most well-known for being the theme to the hit TV show, Friends. The parody was joked around as having been written and recorded to have been the theme to the other hit TV show, Home Improvement. I don't know how much of that was ever true, but the premise was funny. The song is somewhat like our modern hit, Handy, and is about home repair. Theme From Home Improvement was never officially released, but was played live at concerts during that time. If you haven't heard I'll Repair For You, anyone with a browser and favorite search engine can find recordings of it quite easily.

Anyways, I'm curious for the discussion as to who prefers Handy and who prefers I'll Repair For You.

Right off the bat I will say that Handy recycles many of the jokes from Theme From Home Improvement. I don't find a problem with that, however, since Handy was released and the other never was.

But my vote goes for Theme From Home Improvement. My first and biggest reason is that I enjoy the original MUCH more. I also loved Friends and Home Improvement, so the blend was kinda nice. While I don't think it could have ever succeeded as a lead single, I think it could have easily replaced a second or third spot parody. But, I must say, I wasn't an Al fan during this time and I also didn't regularly watch either of these shows until the 2000's, so I can't speak for how big this could have been back then.

What do you all think?
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: Handy v. Theme From Home Improvement (I'll Repair For Yo

Post by Big Spoon »

Theme From Home Improvement all the way - easily one of my favorite concert-only songs. Whereas Handy is just pretty meh.
And Peggy
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I love "Theme From Home Improvement"! I think I actually like it more than the theme from "Friends". As far as "Handy", I think Al did a great job with a crappy song. It's cute and all, but TFHI wins hands down!

If you are saying that you prefer the theme from "Friends" to "Fancy", that I agree with, by a long shot.

Does that make sense?
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I'll be the first one to stand up for Handy. Because the subject matter is a more complicated (and, of course, worse) song, I think the end result is a much funnier version of the same premise.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Wow, so far they're tied!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

As I already mentioned elsewhere, I find "Fancy" rather irritating, which makes me skip "Handy" most of the time, so I vote for "I'll repair for you".
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

I'm tired of defending Handy but it is a much better song than I'll Repair for You.
taste is only something if it is yours.
Burger
Regular

Post by Burger »

mellow weasel wrote:As I already mentioned elsewhere, I find "Fancy" rather irritating, which makes me skip "Handy" most of the time, so I vote for "I'll repair for you".
Exactly, Fancy is like nails grinding on a chalkboard for me. I like both actually. Handy is a huge improvement over fancy also.
Currently serving one year in grammar school for word crimes
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I think "Handy" is a better-written song than "Theme from Home Improvement." To me, "Handy" improved on the concept.
Mad Genius
Obsessed

Post by Mad Genius »

Comparing "Handy" to the "Theme from Home Improvement (I'll Repair for You)" is like comparing apples to oranges. Considering periods that "Repair" and "Handy" were recorded, Al has managed to retool (no pun intended) an old idea, and manage to keep it fresh.