Handy v. Theme From Home Improvement (I'll Repair For You)

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Which is better - Theme From Home Improvement or Handy?

Handy
41%
Theme From Home Improvement (I'll Repair For You)
59%

Total votes: 37

Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Re: Handy v. Theme From Home Improvement (I'll Repair For Yo

Post by Yankomaniac »

Yeah, you had to actually live through that time in the 90's to know exactly what it was like when they were both on at the same time but like I said, Friends did have an episode with an Al reference. Seinfeld had loads of future celebrity cameos which make the show even more awesome to watch now because it still surprises you this many years later. I bought every season of Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm years back and still watch them all quite regularly, never get tired of the jokes and situations. :Y
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

I strongly believe curb your enthusiasm has replaced Seinfeld as the best ever tv show ever.
taste is only something if it is yours.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I once claimed that years back, I stopped watching Seinfeld when Curb came and watched Curb til' I couldn't watch it all the time anymore and they stopped making new ones and then went back to Seinfeld again and the jokes seemed way more fresh in my mind and now I just love them both dearly, no doubt, most hilarious shows ever. LD is one man I would die to meet!!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

:offtopic:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Breaking The Law!! Breaking The Laaawwww!!! :devil:
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Was thinking about this recently and thought that one of the reasons I like IRFY is that it's kind of a "double-joke". That is, you have the standard Al wordplay of the parody, but the premise per his in-concert pre-song intro is that he had written the song for the show Home Improvement but it sounded too much like "some other show's" theme song.

But then I realized that there's a bit of a double-joke going on with Handy, too. That is, on the surface it's just a silly song about, well...being handy. But it also turns the original on it's ear in that while "Fancy" is all about being a sort of a super-stylish uber-Female and all the glamour that goes along with it (gold jewelry, champagne, etc), "Handy" flips genders and makes it about being a rugged uber-Male and talks about decidedly unglamorous stuff like clogged toilets and dry rot.

I still like IRFY a little better, though. Mainly because it ends on a particularly strong lyric ("If you don't mind my hairy buttcrack every time that I squat...") compared to Handy. I mean, ending on the "Se habla Espanol" gag is okay, but not nearly as funny.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

mrmeadows wrote:Was thinking about this recently and thought that one of the reasons I like IRFY is that it's kind of a "double-joke". That is, you have the standard Al wordplay of the parody, but the premise per his in-concert pre-song intro is that he had written the song for the show Home Improvement but it sounded too much like "some other show's" theme song.

But then I realized that there's a bit of a double-joke going on with Handy, too. That is, on the surface it's just a silly song about, well...being handy. But it also turns the original on it's ear in that while "Fancy" is all about being a sort of a super-stylish uber-Female and all the glamour that goes along with it (gold jewelry, champagne, etc), "Handy" flips genders and makes it about being a rugged uber-Male and talks about decidedly unglamorous stuff like clogged toilets and dry rot.

I still like IRFY a little better, though. Mainly because it ends on a particularly strong lyric ("If you don't mind my hairy buttcrack every time that I squat...") compared to Handy. I mean, ending on the "Se habla Espanol" gag is okay, but not nearly as funny.
I narrowly picked Handy. Last year, the first thing I thought of was how much it reminded me of Tim from Home Improvement, and how it would've been perfect for that show, had it come out in the 90s. Another reason I also love the song is, it actually makes an annoying original (not a fan of that ravey hip hop/EDM pop sound) not only tolerable, but really catchy.

I agree with you too, I think Al's best parodies are original songs that take themselves too seriously.
Al-oholic since 1991!
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Hah, yeah Handy also reminds me of Tim the Tool Man Taylor. :lol: That was a great show too. More the video than the song itself. Now that I think about it, that would have been wicked if they got Tim Allen to play that guy in the video, he did great, but Tim Allen is known for that show too, so it would have been cool if he'd ever agree to that. Still think the people in the video should have been the guys in the band, but whatever.
Bridger987
Occasional

Post by Bridger987 »

"Handy" and "I'll Repair For You" are both quite clever. The theme from Friends, though, is just so much catchier than Iggy Azalea's "Fancy."
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

I'll Repair For You