Why does this forum dislike bill plympton so much?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Skippy
Addicted

Re: Why does this forum dislike bill plympton so much?

Post by Skippy »

Bruce the Duck wrote:Actually, now that you mention it, Plympton MIGHT have been able to do something worth while with "My Own Eyes." The lyrics to the song song really aren't about anything other than a whole lot of really ridiculous mental images.
I almost used that as my example, but then decided EYKIW is probably the Al song that is most like what Plympton does on his own.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I actually don't mind the videos for DDTS and TMZ, but I think a lot of what people had problems with was that it was the first video released since "It's All About The Pentiums" (or "Bob" if you count that), so people had been waiting a really long time for a new video. And up until that point, all of Al's videos had been high budget live action, or high quality animated (JP). Plus, since CAGZ, with the exception of JP, all videos were directed by Al and he was very involved in them, paying a lot of attention to detail. Al also really hyped up how awesome the CP video would have been, so there were high expectations going into whatever the next video would have been. Then, all of a sudden, here comes this pencil sketch video that Al had little to no involvement in, that looked more like a homemade fan video you'd see on YouTube, and it was a bit of a letdown. Really, it was a combination of all these things and Bill Plympton being the wrong guy at the wrong time and he became the scapegoat.

Dave
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

All great points, Dave! Has anyone ever heard Plympton (or Al) talk about the DDTS video? I really do wonder if that is the finished product as he intended or if he ran out of time before he could color in all the frames? The latter would make sense since the very first scene is fully colored and it just suddenly turns into pencil sketch for no apparent reason.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
PlayAWarGame
Occasional

Post by PlayAWarGame »

I feel Plympton would be a great match for Pancreas?
It doesn't matter if I do things for a reason, or on a W-H-I-M... Just stand back and enjoy the show, cuz baby, I perform this way!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I keep feeling like I remember an Al quote around the time of SOL where he said that some of the videos the animators brought in weren't really what he was expecting, which I always took as a diplomatic way of saying he wasn't thrilled with all of them. But I've never been able to track down the quote, and it probably wasn't related to Plympton since he brought him back for "TMZ."
TMBJon wrote:I really do wonder if that is the finished product as he intended or if he ran out of time before he could color in all the frames? The latter would make sense since the very first scene is fully colored and it just suddenly turns into pencil sketch for no apparent reason.
I've always felt this way--I don't think there's a story problem with the DDTS video at all, the way there is with "TMZ" and its aforementioned obsession with one particular line in the song. But I can't imagine the sudden black-and-white being a conscious decision--it makes everything look like it's a friggin' flipbook.
PlayAWarGame
Occasional

Post by PlayAWarGame »

Black-and-white means more dramatic. The RIAA was so stern they drained all the color from the video. :P
It doesn't matter if I do things for a reason, or on a W-H-I-M... Just stand back and enjoy the show, cuz baby, I perform this way!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

PlayAWarGame wrote:Black-and-white means more dramatic. The RIAA was so stern they drained all the color from the video. :P
Well, I would believe it if Al or Plympton said it was a deliberate choice because the pencil sketch effect does start the exact moment the RIAA arm punches through the TV.
But as a Post Supervisor, I've dealt with a lot of animated art that is a work in progress, and it usually does look exactly like DDTS in the first round before it gets approved and the artist can start inking.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

anthontherun wrote:I keep feeling like I remember an Al quote around the time of SOL where he said that some of the videos the animators brought in weren't really what he was expecting, which I always took as a diplomatic way of saying he wasn't thrilled with all of them.
This is interesting because on the Comedy Death Ray podcast last week, Al said he brought on the artist for Pancreas based on the work he'd done for Michael Jackson, and he was underwhelmed with what he turned in for Pancreas. So he may have been referring to that specifically. Frankly, none of the SOL animated videos are particularly good. I guess Weasel Stomping Day is the best of them.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Pancreas was disgustingly bad. I prefer TMZ
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

No one likes anything.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect