How familiar are you with parody/polka targets?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

How familiar are you with parody/polka targets before an album is released?

10 - Incredibly familiar; always try to stay up to date on pop culture.
8%
21%
13%
21%
8%
5 - I'm know the song(s), but I don't intentionally try to stay up to date on pop culture.
17%
13%
No votes
No votes
1 - I've never had a good grasp on current pop culture.
No votes

Total votes: 24

Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: How familiar are you with parody/polka targets?

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I gave myself a 6. I don't intentionally try to avoid pop culture, but I don't usually listen to the Top 40 stations. When I'm in the car, I usually have the Country station on, and I'll switch over to Top 40 if there's a commercial break. Other than that, if I hear people talking about a popular song that I haven't heard, I'll usually go look it up and listen to it.
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

I check the new weekly Billboard charts every Thursday (and have done so for years now), so even if I haven't personally heard all the popular songs, I at least have an idea of what they are. I'll sporadically go to YouTube and listen to current or recent hits, just to get a feel for them. On long road trips - like the ones I took with my college classmates every semester until my graduation last year - we usually listened to Top 40 radio at some point, which of course means certain songs are associated with certain places for me. But in general, considering my knowledge of the hits vs. my experience listening to them, I decided I was at about a 7/10.

P.S. As new info about Mandatory Fun's targets comes in, my posts on the chart success of Al's targets will be updated accordingly. So there's that to look forward to...
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

I voted 5. I stay fairly up-to-date on rock, not as much with other genders of music, though I will check something out if it really catches on.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

It depends on the album. Sometimes Al goes after several targets at a time that I'm familiar with or a fan of. Running with Scissors is a good example of that. "American Pie," "Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)", and "One Week" were already in my collection before the album was even announced. Similar thing with Poodle Hat, as I had the Eminem, Avril Lavigne, and Billy Joel songs already.

With other albums, I had to download and familiarize myself with the material ahead of the album. Of course, it's really difficult to NOT be familiar with the really big hits like "Hot in Herrre", "Ridin'", and "I Want it That Way", so I am usually familiar with at least 3/5 of the album's parody targets. I'm usually in the dark on the majority of songs in the polka medleys though.
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

All except Imagine Dragons, but I kinda already "knew" the song without being exposed to it in a "Happy" or "Blurred Lines" way.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Loaded the original songs into a playlist so I can get familiar with them for the next couple of weeks. I'm really not a fan of most of them, unfortunately (only "Royals" is one I would consider to be fairly decent, if not exactly my cup of tea), but I only have to suffer for little while before the "good" versions come out. Then I can toss all of these originals away like yesterday's trash. (Is that harsh?)
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Both Pharrell Williams tracks are exquisite. The rest is okay too.
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Changed my vote to 10. 8)
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia