Outdated Al Lyrics

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: Outdated Al Lyrics

Post by minnick27 »

It came out before the new version premiered. Merv even credits Al with its revival http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvGtLWDCLoQ&t=4m46s
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Sorry - I'm late to the party on this topic, but I have some additions:

UHF (the song and the movie) - Do these channels even still exist? I don't even remember them existing in 1989

The Brady Bunch - Most of the shows mentioned in the first verse are dated

Pacman - The entire song is dated

Here's Johnny - Very badly dated. I don't even remember what some of those lines reference at this point.

And how about some songs that are surprisingly MORE relevant than they were when they came out?

Nature Trail to Hell - Now that 3-D has finally taken a more permanent hold on cinema (for better or worse), the "in 3-D" lines are even more appropriate.

Trigger Happy - Even though gun violence is down in America, the reporting of it on the news and the shocking nature of some of the more recent events, along with the continual debate over gun rights, makes this song even more relevant than in the early nineties. In fact, in the current reactive culture we live in, I bet Al wouldn't even release a song like this today, and if he did, he'd be forced to apologize for it.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

Bruce the Duck wrote: Trigger Happy - Even though gun violence is down in America, the reporting of it on the news and the shocking nature of some of the more recent events, along with the continual debate over gun rights, makes this song even more relevant than in the early nineties. In fact, in the current reactive culture we live in, I bet Al wouldn't even release a song like this today, and if he did, he'd be forced to apologize for it.
I noticed this one recently myself. I was never really a fan of this song when it first came out, probably just due to youth. Lately, I've been listening to some of the songs I usually skip just to see if my opinion's changed over the years, and I found myself really enjoying TH far more than I did before. I think you're definitely right about current culture shedding some different light on this song, but I hope you're wrong about Al not taking a chance like this now.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I would have to say the most outdated Weird Al song is Buckingham Blues.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Uhf frequencies are still in ise, just not for television. But up until the digital conversion 5 years ago you could turn on a tv and punch in channel 57 and that would be a uhf station. It didnt have to be a cheap station like U62, though many were. But they were still very much around in 1989 and later. i used to watch In Living Color on channel 29 which was UHF.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

I feel like most of Dare To Be Stupid is severely outdated except for maybe a few choice lines like "You gotta buy one if you wanna get one free".
twitter.com/allenpwilliams
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

eleventhirtyfour wrote:I feel like most of Dare To Be Stupid is severely outdated except for maybe a few choice lines like "You gotta buy one if you wanna get one free".
Stores still offer "Buy one get one free" deals all the time. :|
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Bruce the Duck wrote:
eleventhirtyfour wrote:I feel like most of Dare To Be Stupid is severely outdated except for maybe a few choice lines like "You gotta buy one if you wanna get one free".
Stores still offer "Buy one get one free" deals all the time. :|
EXCEPT that line
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

minnick27 wrote:
Bruce the Duck wrote: Stores still offer "Buy one get one free" deals all the time. :|
EXCEPT that line
Oops! My bad. :imstupid:
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Actually, the most recent song that is kind of outdated:

Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me

I love this song because I know someone (a coworker) who actually is just like this - She used to constantly forward stupid jokes and pictures and crap to everyone at my work. But now with the proliferation of Facebook and Twitter (which was actually already around when the song came out), this has more or less gone away, because now they post that crap for the entire world to ignore instead.